Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best YouTube to learn woodturning?

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I’m glad to see Richard Raffan mentioned finally - his books and videos have been a staple in teaching beginners and more experienced turners for decades. He has a new series of videos on YouTube these days. More than worth a look.

I too suggest you have a look at Richard Raffan, his latest set of videos are mostly done in real time and his explanations and visual presentations are pretty much perfect for the beginner and expert alike.

This one is perfect for the absolute beginner with almost no tools or other equipment. And, it's only 9 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6syy_LYSE

I like a playlist so I'll check this out! Lots of great suggestions so far. My long term goal won't be to do too much woodturning but I wouldn't mind making some small things for Christmas like salt / pepper shakers, chisel handles, etc. Just get my feet wet although like all things... maybe I'll like it and get into more complicated projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I too suggest you have a look at Richard Raffan, his latest set of videos are mostly done in real time and his explanations and visual presentations are pretty much perfect for the beginner and expert alike.

This one is perfect for the absolute beginner with almost no tools or other equipment. And, it's only 9 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6syy_LYSE

I found little on youtube when I was starting I ended up buying DVDs, you often get what you pay for, so don't expect really good info for free. Some of my favorite instructors are Richard Raffan, Stuart Batty, Kip Christensen, and if you want to turn salad bowls or hollow forms Mike Mahoney.

My first suggestion would be to develop sound hand and body mechanics for controlling and moving the cutting edge of lathe tools. Dominant hand grips the handle right behind the ferrule, handle against forearm, elbow snug against the side of the body, move left and right by tilting at the ankles. When watching videos, focus on body and hand mechanics and movement of the cutting edge, over the project being developed.

Richard Raffan several months ago began posting one or two Youtube videos each week that I find invaluable, although I do also appreciate Stewart Batty and Brian Havens. A turning group is equally valuable, but I would suggest spending an hour with each of two or three mentors initially to find someone best suited to you.

Try Mike Peace, and the Wyoming woodturner

I'll chime in to support those who mention Richard Raffan. I believe his videos have done a lot to improve my bowl turning efforts since I have been watching them on YouTube. I've watched quite a few different turners over the years and learned from all of them, but I think he has helped me the most.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I discovered segmented bowls about 18 months ago it was completely new to me I was captivated. Off I go to youtube and watched tons of videos to see what tool, methods, tricks , the game in total.
    But you can't learn woodworking / woodturning form a video , book, two week course. By some accounts I am pretty successful at making segmented bowls after just 18 months HOWEVER that success was supported by over 50 years of woodworking experience. Yes the videos helped to build an awareness but they can never build a skill. Call it paying your dues, making your bones, cutting your teeth but you have to put time and skin into the game to win.

You should be a sponge, look and learn everything you can, soak it up. Most important lessons is to understand that watching youtube and reading books are great for the what and why but they can not give you the how. By how I don not mean how to ride the bevel on a bowl gouge I mean everything you should know from the time you pick up that bowl gouge and turn out the light at the end of the day. The thought process alone has to be there to support the mechanics of making anything.
    One last thought we can go on google maps and get driving directions from any point coast to coast and everything to know along the way..............BUT it doesn't teach you how to drive.

When you are on Youtube next also check out Reed Gray AKA Robo Hippy and always be a sponge .

calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Stuart Batt has a new l website which has his 34 Vimeo videos and a number of other videos I believe additional videos may be added in September

https://stuartbattytools.com/free-videos-%26-articles

and his web site

https://stuartbattytools.com/home

Great lessons from every one ,thanks for sharing.

Late to the party but I support all those that said to find a local chapter. Every chapter that I have visited as had 1) a list of mentors 2) a library of videos, books, magazines. My local chapter has videos from 15yrs fo AAW conferences and SWAT conferences as well as videos for most of those national artists named above. My local chapter also has open shops for networking and yakking about woodturning....but most of all it is for the newbies to come and get hands on instruction....try other's tools before purchasing, etc.

Glenn Lucas is a great resource. He is a highly skilled and experienced woodturner. Plus, he's a perfectionist. The real bonus is that he is a great teacher too. There are a number of his, more basic, videos on YouTube available to everyone. Recently he started an online "club" which will provide quarterly onine meetings of club members, a project he does a video of a particular piece only available to club members (like a viking bowl, plate, etc.) So far, the videos like this have been excellent learning experiences. I think Glenn has the most developed online teaching site.

Trent Bosch is also a great teacher but doesn't have the same extensive online teaching videos available. However, if you can afford to travel and get to one of his 3 or 4-day classes in Colorado, you would learn a lot about basic turning as well as hollowing.

There is no video that can teach as well as a mentor. Most AAW chapters have mentoring programs.