Thread: Whiteside “Ultimate” flush-trim bits?

Whiteside “Ultimate” flush-trim bits?

Hi folks, has anyone had any experience with these? Are they really as great as the buzz alleges? I’m generally a fan of Whiteside bits, but I’ve also accumulated a level of skepticism toward most any and all advertising, and those babies are a notch above similarly tasked bit’s pricing. Thanks for any and all insights!
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

They are absolutely awesome and they are absolutely expensive so don't drop them!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    They are absolutely awesome and they are absolutely expensive so don't drop them!
    +1

The dual bearing version is definitely my go to. The shearing cut, compression profile, and dual bearings make them perform very well and make them very versatile. But if you mostly work with thinner stock they are a little less ideal; they still work, but you either have to use very thick templates or live with not being able to get the center of the cutter in line with the workpiece. That really only impacts the compression function, and that's mostly helpful for plywood and veneered work.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Agreed. I have their smaller version with top bearing for light stock as needed.

I have both a top bearing and bottom bearing. Great bits. I have a plethora of other top and bottom bearing bits for general use, so that the Ultimate's are reserved for troublesome when-it-really-matters material.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Best flush trim tool I have ever used. But as you note, rather pricey.

I've been using Ocemco for decades.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The Whiteside spiral cutter bits vibrate a lot less the fluted bits. The gullets are deep, so chips clear pretty well. They leave a great surface, and there isn't much whip in the router bit. I did have them bounce the router around a lot when I was making victorian porch brackets, and the router kicked back off the enclosed opening a few times. They are better in a router table.

Agree with everyone. I have the one with the top and bottom bearing. It's large diameter helps on most operations, but you can't do a small inside radius. Never a problem for me. I have a shaper with an Amana carbide insert cutter with top or bottom bearing which I use for thick pattern work. I've used the Whiteside in a router table for thinner material. Expensive but worth it I think.
    Jay

I have a 4" diameter x 4" tall freeborn segmented cutter head with a rub bearing for pattern shaping on a shaper. It is easier to use than the router bit, and the finish is better. The Whiteside router bit on tall stuff.

I have used a UDP9112 for ogees on pergola rafter tails, and for shallow dadoes. It has worked really well, clean cutting.
    UDP9112.jpg