Thread: Normal Spring?

Normal Spring?

Here in Iowa we should be seeing greening grass and some flowers, trees starting to show a few leaf buds..... Nothing. Seems like it can't warm up, to cold to long. Anybody getting a normal warming up Spring?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

S.E. Pa is ahead of schedule I'd say. Now watch Mom Nature dump about 10" of heavy wet snow on us.

We're at least a month early. We normally stop feeding the horses hay around Easter, but the grass turned green, and they started turning their noses up at hay before February was over. Normally, they eat 30 bales each from Thanksgiving until Easter. This year they ate 9 from almost Christmas until the end of Feb.

Still cool in the AZ low desert 60-70 day temps and 40-50 night temps.
    This is great...not unusual to have high 80s (daytime) in March.
    Anytime we can push triple digits out until late May or even June is a big plus.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Bill George, it seems like cold, late springs are the new normal for north Missouri and Iowa. I heard it predicted several years ago at an agriculture conference I attended in Des Moines.

We had a few warm days in KC, and trees are budding, but the cold wont go away.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    ... Anybody getting a normal warming up Spring?
    We had a pretty good one in January and February. The azaleas have already come and gone. The last week was typical mid-winter, which around here means 30's some nights. Now we're back to some pretty pleasant weather, which usually lasts a few weeks before it get too warm and humid.

We had normal spring in January and February this year, other than a few short cold dips. Bulbs, hostas and other plants are already partially up. Our trees are all budded out and about to pop big time. But that's pretty consistent with many areas toward the east coast due to this past "winter's" weather patterns. Folks in the west and central areas, on the other hand, are still getting hammered with winter conditions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very mild winter here in NE Ohio, and early spring for sure. Bulbs are up and some ready to open and a lot of the trees are ready to leaf out. Morning are full of bird songs and I think I may have heard the first spring peeper yesterday. We may get a little snow yet, but I didn't even get the snow blower out of the shed once this year. Not complaining! I do hope the couple of freezes we had were deep and long enough to kill off some of the garden pests or it could be an ugly gardening season.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Another good thing about a cool , even cold, March in the low deserts is that it is good for citrus.
    I have two kinds of grapefruit trees and they start blossoming in early March.
    As long as March stays cool/cold (but not freezing) the fruit will set before early April, which is all to the good.
    This year my "red" had literally thousands of blossoms, of which it will drop 90% of the new fruit by late April, which is about normal.
    But even leaving that 10% to mature will produce a bumper crop of close to 200 fruit come next Dec/January.
    The white produces a little less but there are at least a thousand blossoms on it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Just had lunch with a friend visiting from Minnesota. Says there's still 5 feet of snow in front of her house.

Spring is an Earth- Sun thing. Weather temps are mixed. There are records of cold through Summer for some places that usually get
    ‘normal weather’. I deal with “bad” weather by lots of cussing , and Sundials and noon-marks.

Earlier this week, record cold, tomorrow record warmth. Average them out, and you get record AVERAGE.

Going to be a late spring up here in MN. Still have a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Ski resort 75 miles east of me got 57' of snowfall so far this season. That is 230% of season normal so far. That will take a while to melt and get into spring.
    Bill D.
    PS: In California "normal"is usually 50% or 200 %. very seldom is the seasonal precipitation close to "normal."