Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bay window bench.

Cameron
    I wasn't following in your original post. But that is a freaking brilliant idea to just have the large face frame but not make boxes for the corners. I literally said out loud "what a good idea" and my wife was like "what?" LoL.

Thank you for taking the time to sketch that out. I didn't plan on really being able to store anything in the corners. Just wanted the doors for the access to the electrical outlets / not have to relocate those.

Thank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Michael,

- If there is window/corner trim that goes to the floor it's somewhat easier than a sheetrock or plaster corner.

- When standing from seated, you naturally try to get your feet underneath your COG, so the recessed toe kick helps that a bit. Try getting up from seated on a box or
    such vs a chair.

- The base can be used a plenum for the forced air heat. Cut a register in the toe kick face, and caulk the part of the base where the air will flow to seal any gaps.

- Scribing the top is good- I'm suggesting being prepared to use trim if it doesn't come out perfect.

- Here's a sketch (not to scale). The idea is to not have angled boxes at all, just the base, face frame, and the top. These will be limited spaces and not very visible inside.

Cheers, Jay (Cameron)

Attachment 498271

Not sure about code but... You can mount an outlet at the front of the base or in the side wings. Simply replace the outlet with a metal coverplate and a short run of armored cable to the new outlet. Probably have to build a wood chase over the new wiring so not too much stuff gets piled on it.
    If space is an issue you could use a sillite receptacle. They come in black and white.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Sillites-Self...12616654&psc=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-26-2023 at 2:41 PM.

Code usually specifies that one may not have connections, e.g., wire nuts buried inside the home which are not accessible.
    Regards,

Tom

The built in seat in our house had an oak veneered plywood surface. It got a little condensation from the window which wrecked the plywood. I replaced it with oak flooring to match the floor. Much more durable and ties in great.