Thread: Festool Centrotec Countersink

Festool Centrotec Countersink

Hi folks... I'm looking at the Festool Centrotec pilotless Counter sink, the larger one.
    How does this compare to the Standard counter sinks, with or without a pilot bit?
    I like the idea of having only one countersink to look for in my bit drawer
    Anyone use the Centrotec? Thanks

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

How is that any different from a Weldon or Keo CS for less money and probably equal or better quality? I believe Weldon invented and patented that type decades ago.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-01-2023 at 5:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How is that any different from a Weldon or Keo CS for less money and probably equal or better quality? I believe Weldon invented and patented that type decades ago.
    Bill D
    I didn't know it was a clone...thanks for that info , because the Keo is half the price. (I haven't looked up the Weldon...yet )
    But back to my original question... does that design make a cleaner hole than the fluted type countersinks?

Bill D
    You can't put a 1/4" hex tooling directly into the Centrotec system. They would have to be modified to slightly round off the corners and also a new retention slot cut higher up on the shank to lock them in...or use an intermediate adapter, such as the one from Snappy.

Patty, I use the Snappy Centrotec drills/countersinks and if I need to use a stand-alone countersink, I use the Snapp adapter with a "regular" one of appropriate cutting format.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would look into a countersink cage. But, I have never seen a threaded countersink in one hole style, just the standard multiple flute type. With aircraft tools be careful to get the correct angle on the countersink
    If speed of changing tooling is an issue get it with a Boeing shank.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I didn't know it was a clone...thanks for that info , because the Keo is half the price. (I haven't looked up the Weldon...yet )
    But back to my original question... does that design make a cleaner hole than the fluted type countersinks?
    I believe they make a cleaner hole when used on wood and plastics. I tend to revert to the other type when used on metals. I like the Keo ones I have better than the Festool ones, but with those I have to use the drill chuck as they have a round shaft.

I have the un-branded pilot-less fluted countersinks and they do fine for metal work.
    I probably should invest in a set with both the bit and centrotec countersink (like Jim mentions)
    But I went ahead and ordered the two smaller Keo pilotless centrotecs ($35 total.... HA! put that in your pipe and smoke it, Festool! )

@Bill Dufour... I knew (from my aerospace days) that there were several different screw head /countersink angles, but my gosh, I looked it up and there are a half dozen angles.
    Anyway, (for starters) I ordered the Keo's in the 82 deg config

Thanks to all who responded, explained their choices etc.

Wow. Ordered the Keo countersinks last night....they just showed on my doorstep.
    (Amazon warehouse is about 10 miles away... right across the street from The Boeing plant where I once worked).
    Nice "fit and finish". Will use them later in the week.

Patty have you used the caged countersinks? Easy to set depth by 1/1000" per click. They make 3/8 drive for bigger tooling as well as the more commom 1/4-28
    Bill D

Patty have you used the caged countersinks? Easy to set depth by 1/1000" per click. They make 3/8 drive for bigger tooling as well as the more commom 1/4-28
    Bill D
    I am not all familiar with them, Bill.
    When I googled them I didn't get much more informed, because I really didn't know was I was looking at.
    Can you provide a link (point and push me ) to website or video that shows how to use them in wood?
    A lot of the hits I got for "Caged countersinks" were for metal work.... (but maybe the material doesn't make much of a difference in how they are used...)

Think mini plunge router powered by a hand drill. Instead of a collet the tool is threaded into the arbor. Like those tools for drilling 15 shelf pin holes at a time. I have used it to drill 1/4" shelf pin holes.
    Never had much luck with a rivet shaver though. The tool just jammed and walked around. You forced me to search and I see the rivet shaver tool has a reaction arm to keep it in place.
    Thanks for the question!
    Bill D

Brown tool specializes in aviation tools. I got mine used from the bay after I bought small baggie of them at a thrift store. Only reason I bought it was some starrett tools inside. I am sure Boeing surplus has tons.
    https://www.browntool.com/Listview/t...a/Default.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxt_VP5VEu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEQrEL6rek
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-03-2023 at 12:55 AM.

Search ebay for countersink cage, microstop cage, threaded drills, aircraft drills, aircraft countersinks etc.
    Nice to have a few cages with bits set up for #6, #8, #10 Flathead wood screws. With a drill bit I can not drill too deep and come out the other side with a pilot hole, if I did some test holes and set it correctly.
    I think they make counterbore bits for screw holes you can plug
    Bill D

I have the countersink and is cutting very similar to the Keos I have. As Jim pointed out, the end is centrotec and you pay for that. I would look into the pilot countersinks instead. They are great to drill and countersink for 4.5mm European screws (like SPAX) and I use it all the time. I have some Amanas that work very well too.

https://www.festoolusa.com/accessory...,5-ce#Overview
    https://www.amanatool.com/55331-carb...hex-shank.html

I have a Festool CS and nearly cried when I paid for it but 10 years on and thousands and thousands of holes later I have to admit that it is great value for money simply because it just keeps on cutting with no sign of being blunt. To give you an idea on two jobs we used over 6000 screws so yes, it has paid for itself many times over.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening