Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backache, so How high should lathe centers be?

Backache, so How high should lathe centers be?

I've been turning a bunch of 10" black walnut bowl blanks on my old Delta lathe. Back starts aching from bending over trying to see what I'm cutting in the bowl. My question is: Is there a rule of thumb on how high the lathe centers should be as I'm 6'. Maybe I need to raise my lathe up some? If so how much? (As I'm 76 maybe my back hurts just from age - ha.) Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Keith Rowley in his book "Woodturning - A Foundation Course - New Edition" recommends that the center of the mandrel should be approximately in line with the turner's elbow.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you Ken!! Guess I do need to build a platform to raise it about 6". Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I've been turning a bunch of 10" black walnut bowl blanks on my old Delta lathe. Back starts aching from bending over trying to see what I'm cutting in the bowl. My question is: Is there a rule of thumb on how high the lathe centers should be as I'm 6'. Maybe I need to raise my lathe up some? If so how much? (As I'm 76 maybe my back hurts just from age - ha.) Randy
    I hope I can still turn bowls at 76 ,good for you!

Make sure the lathe can't "walk off" the riser(s) due to vibration.

I’m not that far behind you at 74, and my back hurts on a good day…I turn mostly bowls platters and boxes. For me, at 6’ 2”, having the spindle slightly higher than elbow height feels best. I gauge it by standing at the tailstock end of my lathe with my arms at my side, facing perpendicular to the ways. The center of the quill handwheel is about 1” higher than the point of my elbow…

I'm 5'7" and 46" seems about right for me- basically elbow height. Try blocking your lathe up and see how it works; don't be afraid to experiment.

I used to turn banjo rims on my Shopsmith. I'm 7 feet tall, so finally I made legs from 8/4 ash that were more than a foot taller than the sheet metal legs it came with. My current lathe is a Nova 1624-44 and I removed the legs because they were way too short, sold them, and set the lathe bed on a work table that is higher. I clamp it down when I'm using it. If you can experiment a bit with different heights that would be helpful in finding what's best for you. I guessed the height for the Shopsmith by holding a lathe tool in my hands and imagining that I was using it, and then straightening my back till it felt better. I then measured to see how much higher the tool was than the tool rest, and made the legs that much longer. It's been about 5 years so I don't recall the actual measurements, and of course they'd be different for each person. Back pain is no fun.

I am in the same age range ( a little older), when I first got mu lathe I set is as Ken says has been there ever since and like a lot of others our age my back is sore most of the time. My problem could relate to the two back surgeries I have endured.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

One thing to consider is not just the height, but the format of how a lathe allows you to turn. This is applicable only to facegrain, as there isn't much variation to spindle turning beyond sit-down lathes. But for bowls/platters a number of lathes have either a sliding head or rotating head. This allows you to address the workpiece directly without the lathe bed in the way and causing you to twist or bend. It is a huge difference that is hard to convey how much better it is until you try. This of course costs money, but if back pain has come down to ending a turning career vs investing in a new lathe with better ergonomics, that's something to consider.

And if you are able to afford it and haven't switched to a slide/rotate lathe for bowls, you should order one today! It's a totally different experience.

My Robust AB is at elbow height. I keep telling myself I need to raise it. Maybe today.

I've converted to a high rolling stool. My lathe, Robust Liberty, has a sliding headstock so I can work off the end for the bowl inside. Giving me a few more years.

My old Delta, from a HS shop class I'm sure, doesn't move when turning. And I mostly turn at its lowest speed, 340 I think. I try and get the blanks pretty balanced with my old bandsaw. The lathe is prob 550-600 lbs, lots of old cast iron. Anyway, appreciate the comments! I will raise it about 4 inches (with a lot of help - ha) and see how that does it. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Eob9w height or even a little higher. I am 6 foot tall, and only 72..... I prefer a lathe with a sliding headstock. That allows me to stand up straight when turning bowls so I don't have to reach out away from my body, or extend my arms out like the Stuart Batty method does. So, having it higher will help. Having a good sliding headstock lathe or a pivoting headstock lathe can also be a huge help.

robo hippy

Another good solution is turn on the outboard side of the headstock, or get a lathe with a sliding headstock that lets you stand at the end of the lathe. Hardly any back bending required.