Thread: Powermatic 64a belt length

Powermatic 64a belt length

Does anyone have the belt length for the powermatic 64a table saw? I know it's a 3xv cross section. I refuse to pay $154.00 for ereplacements original.
    Thanks for looking

The Horrible fright five foot long link belt is about $35.
    Bill D

I've been running a link belt on my PM 62 predecessor to that one as long as 64a's have been made. I can't tell you the length. I just kept adjusting it until it worked.

When I need to replace a belt (did so on my uni a couple years ago) I take the old one down to the auto parts store and find one by matching it up. I got 3 new Kevlar belts for next to nothing. The garbage they sell as a direct replacement is too long, usually the 3 aren't the same size, etc.

For 3 hp or under one or two belts is more then enough. Modern synthetic belts are much better then the 1930's rubber stuff the saw was designed for.
    Bill D

The parts book online for a 64A shows the belt number as 3VX-470. That number or the correct one should be printed on the belt. Simply buy a reputable 3VX belt that size from a local (or online) industrial supply house (3VX470 is a 47" belt) or chance it on Amazon. If in doubt take your belt to the supply house and they will measure/match it for you. Retail price on a belt that size should be in the $20 vicinity.

Automotive belts are too stiff, and you will get vibration from the connection point. If you buy belts from an auto parts place, get a fractional hp belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Automotive belts are too stiff, and you will get vibration from the connection point. If you buy belts from an auto parts place, get a fractional hp belt.
    Buy a 3VX belt, not a fractional HP belt that looks like it fits. 3VX is a cogged v-belt that will properly wrap around the sheave diameter on the 64A. The only caveat is that 47" belts are a little harder to find. For some reason 47-1/2" belts seem more readily available through auto parts stores. Not sure if that extra 1/4" of effective length between sheaves will be a problem or not on the 64A.

Even though "fractional horsepower" sounds like the belts are not heavy duty enough because of the name, they're run on riding lawnmowers (not commercial) that drive the rear wheels, and spin three blades with a 26hp motor. They're plenty strong enough for a contractors saw, and if you go to an auto parts store to buy a belt, it's going to be the smoothest running one you'll find.

Nothing runs as smoothly as the multi-link belt though, but one might stretch out after running it for a while to the point that you need to take out a link.

Been there and tried all of them on my Model 62 that I bought new in 1974.