Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 20" Bandsaw Model 28-641 unable to turn tension wheel

Delta 20" Bandsaw Model 28-641 unable to turn tension wheel

I have a Delta 20" Bandsaw Model 28-641. I am unable to turn the tension wheel. If you look at my youtube below you can see this problem. Oddly on the phone Delta said it was broken and another shop guy I emailed said it appeared the unit was taken apart and reassembled incorrectly. However in the exploded view it looks fine. Also look at images.

I am a shop/technology teacher and received this used unit from my supervisor as it was going up for auction due to closing a shop but the previous teacher is retired and moved away.

My youtube link which you can see trying to turn the tension wheel:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-JY16qwLqS0

Thank you kindly,
    Linda Grunthaner
    email: grunthaner@ctemc.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't see anything on the exploded diagram or parts list for whatever the wire thing is attached to Part #184, the tension tab. Not sure what that's about. In any case, it should be easy enough to figure out what the problem is by taking apart the tension mechanism. If the tension tab is banging into the housing opening and preventing the wheel from turning then something must be frozen up from rust, bent, or broken, or maybe it was put back together incorrectly, as you mentioned. The diagram tells you everything you need to know about what order things are supposed to be assembled. Good luck.

John

I believe the tab that sticks through the oval opening is supposed to move up and down (therefore pulling on the cable, which I think just goes to the indicator) as the tension knob is turned. I'd be looking at part 182 which is supposed to slide up and down (moving the upper wheel close or farther away from the lower wheel) as the handwheel is turned. It may be installed incorrectly or frozen preventing the handwheel from turning. But this is mostly a guess based on the drawings in the manual.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

YES YES YES, I think it could be frozen!
    I'll investigate again.
    Thank you kindly,
    Linda

Blog Entries
    It is possible that the blade you have on it is too long and the tension adjust is at the limit of it's travel. I had this problem on my 14" Delta when one of the blades came to me over size.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I believe the tab that sticks through the oval opening is supposed to move up and down (therefore pulling on the cable, which I think just goes to the indicator) as the tension knob is turned. I'd be looking at part 182 which is supposed to slide up and down (moving the upper wheel close or farther away from the lower wheel) as the handwheel is turned. It may be installed incorrectly or frozen preventing the handwheel from turning. But this is mostly a guess based on the drawings in the manual.
    Oops, it's part 181 that slides up and down...182 is the shaft.

Very interesting Lee. I just removed the blade and it's still frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It is possible that the blade you have on it is too long and the tension adjust is at the limit of it's travel. I had this problem on my 14" Delta when one of the blades came to me over size.

Blog Entries
    Any chance you can post a close up of the parts you can see through the opening in the wheel. Also can you post photos of the tracking adjust and tension indicator on the back of the saw.

I am not familiar with your model saw. On the Delta 14" saws, the tension adjust slide and tracking adjust parts are die cast metal. If too much tension is applied or if you try to adjust the tracking while under high tension it is common for those pieces to break. The jammed wheel would indicate that the tracking adjust hinge has broken and the wheel is binding against the sheet metal shroud.

Or

Have you tried turning the hand wheel to decrease the tension? It would appear that the tension slide is adjust to near the top of the tension adjust range. You may have reached the limit of travel.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-22-2023 at 1:57 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Can you turn the adjustment wheel/handle in either direction to move the upper wheel up or down?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-22-2023 at 3:10 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Paul
    Which chart are you looking at as I don't see any number 181 or 182.

Oops, it's part 181 that slides up and down...182 is the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Grunthaner View Post
    Hi Paul
    Which chart are you looking at as I don't see any number 181 or 182.
    Linda, they are shown on the 3rd diagram in the manual pages you linked to, upper right corner.

On a 14" that has that problem, the hinge for adjusting blade tracking is really bent or broken.

Hi Lee,
    I'll send that now. BTW the image may rotate due to this site. Also the tension wheel only turns 1/8" to 1?4" in both directions, it appears frozen. I'm going to pick up a snap ring tool to remove the wheel next week.
    Thank you kindly,
    Linda
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JY16qwLqS0

20 inch may be frozen.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Any chance you can post a close up of the parts you can see through the opening in the wheel. Also can you post photos of the tracking adjust and tension indicator on the back of the saw.

I am not familiar with your model saw. On the Delta 14" saws, the tension adjust slide and tracking adjust parts are die cast metal. If too much tension is applied or if you try to adjust the tracking while under high tension it is common for those pieces to break. The jammed wheel would indicate that the tracking adjust hinge has broken and the wheel is binding against the sheet metal shroud.

Or

Have you tried turning the hand wheel to decrease the tension? It would appear that the tension slide is adjust to near the top of the tension adjust range. You may have reached the limit of travel.

Yes Paul, I see 181 & 182, I'm going to pick up a snap ring tool and take the wheel off and get 181 & 182 cleaned up and maybe that is all she needs.
    Thank you kindly,
    Linda

Linda, they are shown on the 3rd diagram in the manual pages you linked to, upper right corner.

I'm with Paul that the issue is likely 181 and 182 being "frozen". The fact the wheel turns from and 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn indicates the shaft isn't frozen in the threads. The limited movement is the play in the threads. When you get the upper wheel off you will be able to see what's happening. Does the saw show any rust anywhere? If those two items are stuck together it's likely from rust.