Thread: John Wilson, Shaker Oval Boxes

John Wilson, Shaker Oval Boxes

This morning I called the number for Shaker oval boxes supplies at the company founded and run by John Wilson. His wife Sally answered and told me John died recently, on January 27th, aged 83.

Sally spokes very lovingly and easily about her late husband, and gently enquired of me what I was calling to order (it was my first time ever calling, I have never made an oval box), taking down my details and letting me know one of her children will call me back.

I searched but didn't find any posts on this forum about John's passing, so I figured I'd post here, Shaker boxes looking to me largely like a handtools / hybrid undertaking. Mods - if you want to move this post, of course do so.

Sally said if John was here to take my call he'd keep me on the phone talking about everything and anything. Considering the circumstance I enjoyed my chat with her and I was left with the feeling they lived a wonderful life together

I attended John's weekend class back in about 1996. Learned so much and found a new type of craftsmanship that was very different than building furniture. He was a sweet, gentle guy who loved what he did. I think he had some sense of mission about his business...while having a relative strong hold (if not a monopoly) on box supplies in the markey, he kept prices manageable so more people could enjoy his craft.

He may have had a light touch on this big world, but I'd be delighted to have touched as many people's lives and interests as I suspect he did.