Thread: Real Estate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Real Estate

Given the market is tightening everywhere, we definitely timed our move at the wrong time so we are not coming out of the sale/buy on our new place. That is the market and that’s the way it is. I’ve not bought a lot of property in my time but the process kinda sets me off. My complaint is the process, specifically, the appraisal. The lender selected an appraiser known for his conservative views on valuations according to the realtor group we have. Now, our property is old by CA standards, showing on maps from the 1860’s. It is known locally as the “Cabin in the Sky” and has that on a sign hangin off the front of the house. A grandson of the 1920’s owner said the sign was there when his Grands bought it back then and the views are spectacular to the W. The appraiser, comes in and does his walk through and gave no value to the view as it was not visible from the living room, which faces the road. We completely re-built this place in 13/14 and actually talked about switching the lay-out, but the best parties are kitchen parties and on out to the yard so we have a fabulous view out the 8’window and the 6’ on the side. That valuation is according to the realtor worth about $40k of value. My bi*** is the complete arbitrariness of this opinion and as a result the places did not appraise at value that we had agreed with the buyer, and why would the bank want a higher value in this market with all that is going on, so there it sits. The lender ignores appeals and it is a one and done deal. I think the place has a view. What do you think? Oh, and that tire swing in the picture hangs 16’ off the 54” blk walnut beside the house. the grandkids have loved it but it scares the heck out of you when they are flying so high
    Attached Images Attached Images