Thread: Another "Pucker" Bowl

Another "Pucker" Bowl

Turned this a couple of years ago. Pecan wood. ~8.5" diameter and ~7" tall.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Here's the bowl base.
    Unknown.jpeg

Wondering about Osmo as a finish. Thoughts?

C&C on the bowl welcomed.

Nicely done! Looks really thin.

Walls are 3/8" maybe. Bottom, almost too thin.

Eugene -- Osmo would work as a finish, but I would ask why you'd want to use Osmo on what is an art piece and wouldn't benefit from the durability Osmo offers. If it were me and I wanted a film finish, I'd most likely use shellac or a brushing lacquer (Deft's Clear Wood Finish). Both are easy to apply and can be easily renewed should the need arise. Both are also plenty durable for something that gets handled only occasionally. I have a bowl I turned 20 years ago that was finished with Deft. It gets used for popcorn about once a month. The finish still looks great. I also have candlesticks and other items of a similar age that were finished with shellac. They also look great.

If I didn't want a film finish, I'd probably use a hardening oil like tung oil (the real stuff), BLO, or walnut oil. Again, these finishes are easy to apply and renew. They are also plenty durable for a decorative piece.

So, will Osmo work? Yes. But it's also harder to apply and far more expensive than the finishes already mentioned. Of course, if you have a can of Osmo that's about to go bad...
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona