Thread: Delta 17-900 drill press

Delta 17-900 drill press

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 17-900 drill press. Asking is $350. Likely could buy for $300. I have no experience with this model. I currently have a Delta model 15, so this would be a bit of an upgrade for me. I don't use a drill press a great deal, but I would like to get rid of the model 15. Any comments from current 17-900 owners would be appreciated.

It's a typical drill press of it's type, 16.5" throat, multiple speeds. The price is reasonable and even better if you can get it for less.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looked here to see it is a generic dp. nothing special. decent price if it is all there. I would prefer to get one with no motor or a three phase motor for less money and run a three phase motor with vfd. A missing step pulley is hard to source.
    Bill D

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...3279_9488.html

The headline made me check current pricing on the Delta 18-900L. About $1900 US. To think I paid around $900. Cdn at the time. And that was a lot. Talk about inflation. Wow!

I think I paid $80 for my 20" Walker turner with no motor and no motor step pulley. I had to pay about that much to get the table drive gearbox. Another $100 for a motor and vfd. Never did get the correct step pulley, just use something I found.
    Bill D.

I got my 17-950 as a lark when it was remaindered at Lowe's about 15 years ago. I've used it for tasks I had not imagined, cutting 3" discs from hardwood with a holesaw and drilling holes for threaded inserts in 16" oak held vertically with a fixture. The keyed chuck has ~.0.003" run-out with a drill blank measured 3" from the jaws. I've been very happy with it.

I bought the 17-900 for $300. I am very pleased with my purchase. All of the comments are much appreciated.

I’ve had a 17-950 for years of hobbiest use. Never a problem, just hate changing speeds. You got a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Foley View Post
    I bought the 17-900 for $300. I am very pleased with my purchase. All of the comments are much appreciated.
    What's the quill's vertical travel? I get models confused but was thinking there's a Delta with 6" of travel which is desirable for woodworking. Common vertical capacity at the time was around 3 1/2" or so.