Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machining Brass - Bits, Speeds?

Thanks for that info. David. My continuing disappointing results is confirming the data you reported. I broke all three zero flute bits I had, even at 0.006" doc. The feed rate must still be too high for the 1/8" diameter bit. Can't remember for sure but I think it was around 25 ipm. I ordered 360 brass but have no way of knowing if that's what I actually received. I have no trouble machining aluminum, but brass is presenting much more of a challenge. I've put it on the shelf for now as I need to get some work done.

John

FWIW, I cut brass dog tags with my Sienci Long Mill. The brass was 1/8" thick. I used a 1/8" o-flute bit. Depth of cut was .007", feed rate was 20 ipm and router speed was as low as I could get the Makita router, which I believe is 10,000 rpm. I didn't have many to do, so I stood there and blew air from a canned air to keep things cool. (I had done that successfully before with aluminum.). No broken bits and a happy vets office.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant. Those parameters are about where I'm headed when I get some new bits.

John