Thread: Hanging something Heavy

Hanging something Heavy

I need to hang on the wall a small but heavy brass Barometer mounted on a 5 inch x 18 inch x 7/8 redwood. I used to own a keyhole router bit but not sure where its at now. I am thinking of a 1/2 round brass clasp D ring like thing attached to the back with some wood screws and the clasp thing hanging on a screw in the wall. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-20-2023 at 8:37 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    How about a French cleat?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Positioning it so that you can screw into a stud rather than into plaster or drywall will be much more secure. How heavy is heavy? I'm guessing from the size something less than 10 lbs, in which case a screwed on ring should be plenty. Using through bolts to attach the ring (perhaps installed behind the instrument) will up the holding strength by probably a factor of 10.

If you need to go into drywall these anchors made for securing grab bars work remarkably well.

Blog Entries
    I have been making a homemade version of these steel keyholes for coat / hat / dog leash, wall hung racks. I make a pocket so they hang flush.

Keyhole Fittings-Select either single or double | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 6.41.19 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-21-2023 at 8:00 AM. Reason: link
    Best Regards, Maurice

Good ideas better than the D ring I was going to use and yes it will be hung on a stud and I like the metal keyhole in a routed pocket.

For heavy stuff I like to use these metal french cleats to save time: https://www.amazon.com/OOK-533212-Pi...22573780&psc=1

Several companies make these. They come in longer sizes for larger objects. I know one could make them out of wood, but these let you stay really close to the wall.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Always a good idea to add a safety wire hidden behind. Museums use monofilament fishing line for sculptures etc.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I have been making a homemade version of these steel keyholes for coat / hat / dog leash, wall hung racks. I make a pocket so they hang flush.

Keyhole Fittings-Select either single or double | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 6.41.19 AM.png
    The best way.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I ended up using a small set of French Cleats, and until I read this above I had no idea what they were. The Barometer is 6 inches in diameter and mounted on a piece of red Cedar. Turned out ok for a guy with a broken leg/ankle and in a Boot getting around in my cluttered shop.

Barometer.jpg