Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Apple Tree Experts Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Those seem to just be red balls you coat with tanglefoot. The females try to lay eggs on the balls and get stuck. I bet the color needs to be uv reflective not nessacaryily red.
    Bill D.
    What I'm reading says the bright red "apple" ball attracts the apple maggot fly... Maybe I could use this https://www.amazon.ca/Ortho-Tanglefo...s%2C102&sr=8-9 although the price is a little steep but 1 can is over $90!!.. and maybe I could get some fruit fly traps like this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HP94VCP/...s_B07SFK79TJ_0 to spray and hang on the tree. Don't really have any other options that I can think of....

Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Sorry I am a bit late. I am an orchardist (Shenandioah Valley) - grow 27 different cultivars of apple trees and 4 pears. Bottom line is as a very small grower I can afford the overhead of a large tank sprayer (pulled behind my tractor) and more than 20 different kinds of pesticides (insecticides and fungicides) and also have a license that entitles me to buy and apply Restricted Use Pesticides (the stuff that really works). Stuff that works on scab that is not restricted in the USA anyway (and that are not too expensive) includes Manzate Pro-Stik, Captan, Ziram, and Pristine (I use all of this stuff). For bugs, the pyrethoids will work for sure on maggots and dormant oil will work on scale and mites, with Imidan (more expensive and tricky) working on many other things, including Plum Curculio. Get on the website for one of the US land grant universities where apples are relevant (Michigan, Minnesota, Penn State, Purdue, VA Tech, etc., and look up their spray bulletin for rentry times, harvest interval, what pests the stuff works on, etc. Many of the stuff you see in the box stores contains good stuff but in a vastly diluted form - like Spectricide - which I use in its Restricted form and is 140 times more powerful as Lamba CY. Let me know if you have a rust or Fireblight issue and I will tell you what to use on that. (But, using something like Cuprofix really helps on Fireblight.) Oh, stay away from fertilizers using phosphorus and potassium if you get bitter pit - Honeycrisps are very susceptible to that. I tend to use plain old 46-0-0.

You've got two completely separate problems to address, Apple maggot is the larva of a fruit fly. Scab is a fungous. No one treatment will control both. You may may think that Wilson Fruit Plus did, but it in fact had no real effect on your scab problem, as the active ingredient in that product is permethrin, an insecticide.

Timing is everything in controlling Apple Maggot. The adult flies lay their eggs on young fruit, so the eggs can hatch into the larva that ruin your fruit as it sizes up and ripens. To control them, you've got to either prevent the egg laying, or kill the eggs on the fruit. Once the larva are inside the fruit, they're more or less untouchable.

I control Apple Maggot very successfully with a product called Surround. Surround is a finely powdered kaolin clay that discourages the fruit flies from landing or depositing eggs on your fruit. To work, you have to keep the trees fully covered in a fine layer of the spray. For me here in the upper Midwest, that means weekly to every ten days or so spraying starting around July 1st, through at least the last half of August. Usually I get by with 4 sprays, although in a really rainy summery, I made need more as hard rains can wash the Surround off the trees. If you try this, be sure to use a good spreader/sticker with the Surround -that'll greatly increase it's staying power on the fruit. Coverage matters, but if you miss a spot on your tree, it just means you'll have maggots in the fruit on that branch or area. (I in fact leave one true unsprayed as a trap tree - the Surround works by discouraging the flies, not by killing them, so having some place for them to go increases its effectiveness).

Surround is great, because it's completely nontoxic. The stuff (kaolin clay) is literally used as a binder in food products, and is one of the two components of the OTC treatment for diarrhea , kaopectate.

For scab, the most important thing you can do is clean up under the trees in the fall - get rid of all fallen fruit and leaves. They are the source of the infection you get the next Spring. Spraying for scab is again a matter of getting the timing right. Lime-sulfur should control it for you, but you have to have the spray well stuck on the twigs, leaves and fruit before you get a scab infection event (basically, a period where the leaves stay wet and the temperature above about 18C for 8 or more hours, roughly during the month after the tips of the apple twigs first show green). If you don't stop scab during that month, you'll never stop the secondary infections that occur throughout the summer. If you do get good control on the primary, the secondary infectinos won't give you much trouble.

This isn't helpful to you, but on the farm we had no problems with apple maggots and I credit the the cows. When an apple falls the maggot inside needs to migrate out and into the ground, but they never got a chance: the cows really liked fallen apples and kept the ground clear. But I expect that a herd of dairy cows isn't what you had in mind :-)
    Terry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    Sorry I am a bit late. I am an orchardist (Shenandioah Valley) - grow 27 different cultivars of apple trees and 4 pears. Bottom line is as a very small grower I can afford the overhead of a large tank sprayer (pulled behind my tractor) and more than 20 different kinds of pesticides (insecticides and fungicides) and also have a license that entitles me to buy and apply Restricted Use Pesticides (the stuff that really works). Stuff that works on scab that is not restricted in the USA anyway (and that are not too expensive) includes Manzate Pro-Stik, Captan, Ziram, and Pristine (I use all of this stuff). For bugs, the pyrethoids will work for sure on maggots and dormant oil will work on scale and mites, with Imidan (more expensive and tricky) working on many other things, including Plum Curculio. Get on the website for one of the US land grant universities where apples are relevant (Michigan, Minnesota, Penn State, Purdue, VA Tech, etc., and look up their spray bulletin for rentry times, harvest interval, what pests the stuff works on, etc. Many of the stuff you see in the box stores contains good stuff but in a vastly diluted form - like Spectricide - which I use in its Restricted form and is 140 times more powerful as Lamba CY. Let me know if you have a rust or Fireblight issue and I will tell you what to use on that. (But, using something like Cuprofix really helps on Fireblight.) Oh, stay away from fertilizers using phosphorus and potassium if you get bitter pit - Honeycrisps are very susceptible to that. I tend to use plain old 46-0-0.
    Any suggestions for European hornets. They decimated my crop last year.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions... much appreciated... but I'm still running into the problem of trying to get anything. I can put up with the bit of apple scab but I really need to get rid of the apple maggot. The Canadian link that Jerry gave has the Tanglefoot available but it's a paste to put on the trunk to prevent insects from climbing up so that won't help with the flies that get at the apples. I'll have to get the spray in the link I posted earlier. I would like to try the kaolin clay and found a page with links to 4 distributers but, as usual. they don't ship outside the USA. Very frustrating.... someone should let these companies know that a world does exist outside the USA!! Anyway thanks again and I'll keep looking...

Terry.... I checked into the cows and the pricing was good but shipping was a killer!!!!!

Yeah. You need an insecticide registered for Pome Trees (Apple Trees) that kills them. Bifen comes to mind as does Permethrin (which has the side effect of killing some of the beneficial mites). Sevin also works and it is not that impactful unless you spray too early and thin the little apples out too much (it is the most effective thinning agent generally used - especially when added to things like NAA). Not sure what the hornets are doing in your trees - I usually see them late in the season after some ^&%$ crows bite into the top of some apples and the hornets come in and get drunk as the apples ferment. So, I think it is more likely birds (crows or whatever) are causing your problem followed up by Hornets. Big pain is you cannot use Lorsban (Pilot 4E-Chlorphyrifos) any more against hornets and many other pests because even if you have a license it is no longer legal to use. Seems folks thought because 16 oz in 1000 gallons of water was the label dose if they doubled or tripled it it would help —sigh. I saw the post about Surround - it is great stuff but hard to apply - probably the best accidentally discovered organic pesticide. If you are eating and cleaning your own apples it is great - if you are trying to market them - well that can be a different problem. I would hesitate to try very hard to kill them late season because you will run into harvest interval issues (if you used something like Lamba CY (a RUP) and most of the stuff that does well is toxic with a pretty long interval - again, check the Spray Bulletins front your local land grant university. Here in Va we are blessed with the VA Tech guys at the Alson Smith Center outside of Winchester where the boss is an entomologist, they have a terrific disease guy from Cornell, and a horticultural guy who is lots of fun - . Have to admit I spend more time being an Orchardist in the summer than I do Woodworking, but that is another story.

Barry, when you use the tanglefoot paste you can smear it on the red wooden apple "decoy". I hope you're not under the assumption that you spray tanglefoot onto the individual apples. That would be an unholy mess to clean before you eat an apple.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Barry, when you use the tanglefoot paste you can smear it on the red wooden apple "decoy". I hope you're not under the assumption that you spray tanglefoot onto the individual apples. That would be an unholy mess to clean before you eat an apple.
    Lol ......no Jerry I wasn't thinking of spraying it on the apples....I was thinking if I get some of these plastic red apple decoys it would be easier to spray them than smearing a paste on them. Actually Home Depot has a 2 pack of these "apples" for fruit flies that I may get and I could spray them with the sticky stuff and hope it would work against the apple maggot flies since the red is supposed to attract them. Don't really want to spend $100 for a couple cans of sticky spray but I'm running out of options.

The cows may not work out for you but a goat or two might be manageable

Apples? A pig comes to mind.
    bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images