Thread: Farewell Urn for a friend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Farewell Urn for a friend

My best friend was battling GBM/brain cancer for 9 1/2 months. Once he was moved to hospice (the people that work there are angels on earth...) I needed something to keep my hands busy and mind engaged. I endeavored to make an urn to help his wife not have to deal with "one more" decision during such a hard time. It is some figured walnut and some curly maple from a tree I had to remove from my front yard when I lived in PA. (BTW, this is one of the only groups that understands keeping firewood for 15 years and moving it across the country!) I added a shelf to keep a few of his things (wedding ring, watch, a picture, etc.) I made one and then I thought of the places the family is planning to spread his ashes, so I made a second one, that I called the "To Go Cup" and that brought many laughs to family and friends. You will probably see the brass finish nail, to keep the container closed in transit.

I started the process while he was still with us and I had to change finishes to Rubio so it could be delivered last week. A bit of a gamble as it was the first project I have used Rubio on. This is my first urn and I learned a lot (like home much curly maple splines swell when you apply glue, compared to regular maple.) It was incredibly cathartic and I have had 7 people ask me to make an urn for them... incredibly proud and humbled.

Have a wonderful day!
    Attached Images Attached Images