Thread: Farewell Urn for a friend

Farewell Urn for a friend

My best friend was battling GBM/brain cancer for 9 1/2 months. Once he was moved to hospice (the people that work there are angels on earth...) I needed something to keep my hands busy and mind engaged. I endeavored to make an urn to help his wife not have to deal with "one more" decision during such a hard time. It is some figured walnut and some curly maple from a tree I had to remove from my front yard when I lived in PA. (BTW, this is one of the only groups that understands keeping firewood for 15 years and moving it across the country!) I added a shelf to keep a few of his things (wedding ring, watch, a picture, etc.) I made one and then I thought of the places the family is planning to spread his ashes, so I made a second one, that I called the "To Go Cup" and that brought many laughs to family and friends. You will probably see the brass finish nail, to keep the container closed in transit.

I started the process while he was still with us and I had to change finishes to Rubio so it could be delivered last week. A bit of a gamble as it was the first project I have used Rubio on. This is my first urn and I learned a lot (like home much curly maple splines swell when you apply glue, compared to regular maple.) It was incredibly cathartic and I have had 7 people ask me to make an urn for them... incredibly proud and humbled.

Have a wonderful day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful project result for a sad assignment. Nice work and my sympathies.
    It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. I have done a few of these and they are indeed the place that I use that special piece of material that I have been hanging onto and moving about for many years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's a fine tribute to your dear friend. Nice job!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Robert, not only is that wonderful craftsmanship, it is a fine example of being a true friend. I wish you peace and the same to your friend's family.

And yea...I still have a few pieces of "firewood" from back in 1999/2000 when I took down my first tree at the old property. It was "pre-spalted" on the hoof.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work. That is a really thoughtful thing to do for your friends family.

Thoughtful an good use of a little bit of special; saved wood. Much more into that then costco special two pack urns. Yes they do sell coffins and urns. Never seen them on sale or closeout specials.
    Aren't there some monks who make coffins to sell to support their monastery?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-21-2023 at 3:49 PM.

Yes, I believe the coffin-making monks are in Iowa.

We have a couple of shops in the metro area that sell coffins and urns independently of funeral homes.
    < insert spurious quote here >