Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to increase the ID of 6" PVC Pipe

1. Make a form to enlarge the pvc to the size needed.

Put a large pot of water on a portable heater and boil water. Insert your pipe and get it hot. Oh yeah, figure out how you will hold this hot pipe first!

Heat your pipe and form it to the shape needed, like heat bending pvc conduit.

Fernco 6" fittings come sized for iron, cast iron, clay, pvc, asbestos, etc. Something will be close enough.
    I had an issue down in a trench getting a fernco over a cast iron sewer line. One end was fine the other was too tight to get it on with little leverage down the hole. I put in a cherne plug and expanded the small end a little bit. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Then quick pulled the plug and it all slipped into place easy. Took about 15-30 minutes to shrink back down to a tight fit that could then be clamped.
    PS: rubber expands when cooled but it also gets harder to stretch as it cools.
    Bill D

https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...tock-couplings

What diameter does it need to be. I do not know the id of 6" pvc pipe of unknown schedule offhand and I am too lazy to look it up for someone who has it in the shop next to a tape measure.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What diameter does it need to be. I do not know the id of 6" pvc pipe of unknown schedule offhand and I am too lazy to look it up for someone who has it in the shop next to a tape measure.
    Bill D
    6" SDR 35 5 7/8" ID needs to be 6" even to fit.

It's just not that complicated, heat the end of the pipe and shove it over the inlet. This is 6" sdr35 formed to fit the 6" inlet of an older V3000
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    It's just not that complicated, heat the end of the pipe and shove it over the inlet. This is 6" sdr35 formed to fit the 6" inlet of an older V3000
    From original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    In the on going conversion of my dust collection system to 6" PVC, I need to get the 6"x4"x4" wye off the inlet and connect direct to 6" PVC piping. The OD of the inlet is 1/8" larger than the ID of the 6"PVC SDR pipe. Almost fits, but not quite. Due to the expense of the fittings, I'd rather not modify a fitting (ie., heat to expand it to fit). What I need are ideas on how to open the ID of a 3 inch long piece 6" SDR PVC pipe by 1/8". I thought about a lathe, but if it is not perfectly round, the lathe won't remove the material evenly. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    From original post.
    There are no fittings in the pic I posted, just a piece of sdr35 that I heated up with a heat gun and stretched over my cyclone inlet.

Fernco 1001-54 is 6.05" diameter close enough to 6.00" too work. 6.48" is a bit small to match 6.625" but doable.
    6.625 is 6" clay OD
    6.05 is 5" clay OD
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-01-2023 at 11:47 AM.