Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What 10’ sliding saws should I consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Budget is up to $12,500.

Since we are now back in the US, a standard arbor would be preferred over metric, only because of availability of blades.
    That pretty much puts you in SCM/Minimax. Give Sam Blasco a shout.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last year I got the SCM Minimax 315es and am happy with it. It's still approximately within your budget. I like that its 1" arbor lets me use cheaper, easier to acquire blades.

The slider & outrigger were amazingly well-calibrated right off the crate. The rip fence was canted away from the blade a bit more than I prefer but I also understand that's how they ship. Easy enough adjustment though.

My only complaint is that its dado support creates a gap between the wagon and blade - about 3/4" instead of the usual small clearance one would see on a slider. This is a nuisance when trying to rip narrow stock with a Fritz & Franz jig because there's that much less material support.

Good luck with the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We mostly make one-off creations. We needed a saw with high accuracy ...

Accuracy is everything. We pride ourselves on high level of perfection, and it is part of our value sell. This is probably the most important deciding factor: dead-on repeatable accuracy.
    If this is an important element, you may want to consider a DRO flipstop from Lamb Toolworks:

https://lambtoolworks.com/dro-flipstop

In addition to the "repeatable dead-on accuracy", this model has the flip-stop on the right side of the module. This means that you can make cuts that are closer to the blade. The Felder flip-stops have the stopper on the left side of the module, which means the smallest cut you can make is about 7" (which is often too larger). The DRO flipstop is expensive at $1350, but it is worth it for "dead-on repeatable cuts". If this is something you would consider, I would reach out to Lamb Tool Works to make sure because their DRO will "only work with some 500 series models".

The SCM Minimax flip-stops appear to be mounted with the flip-stop on either the left or right side. However, Minimax arbor size is the standard/smaller 16mm or 5/8". The Felder arbor sizes are all 30mm with locator pins.

Are you set on new? If not I would keep an eye out for used. IRS auctions usually has several. I've not looked into getting a single phase machine but I think 3 phase is almost a must. I have seen several Altendorf sliders sell for about half your budget that looked like they were in very good shape. That would leave you plenty of your budget left over for a rotary phase converter and shipping to get the saw to your shop.

Whatever you buy, make certain that you will have adequate support nearby at a reasonable price. Felder/Hammer is noted for great equipment and lousy service at a VERY high price unless they have a dealership near tour shop. I have their jointer/planer. 5 years ago it would have cost me around $600 trip fee plus several hundred more for tech time to realign my machine. I declined. I love the machine when it is al aligned but wouldn't buy from them again.

There are nice 10' sliders that show up all the time, used, for <$5k. Here's one right now on IRS auctions: https://www.irsauctions.com/popups/p...DR0OI&id=25706

Don't shy away from 3phase - you could get a 7.5HP Phase Perfect for $2k: https://www.phaseperfect.com/enterpr...0-volt/pte007/

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Malcolm,

Not close, but this just popped up on FB marketplace in Spokane WA:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Would need a VFD.
    Wow, if I had the space I'd go take a look at that saw. That's a great price even if you need a VFD for it!

I would echo what several others have already said. The field becomes so narrow if you restrict yourself to single phase machines, and with your budget you can find a good used industrial machine along with a method to run it off your single phase power (whether you choose rotary phase converter, digital converter like a phase perfect, or a VFD). I don’t think you need to process a unit of sheet goods a day to justify an Altendorf or a Martin, but this is subjective obviously. I was searching for a 10’ slider a while back and wound up with a 12’ Martin T72A in good shape within your budget. I’m very glad I have those extra 2’ of travel! Good machines will materialize out there if you are patient and keep a consistent lookout. These larger sliders are very heavy so be very careful loading/unloading with a forklift!

I have had a Minimax SC4E now for about a year and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has a 8.5' table and I rip full sheets all the time with no problem at all. If I had a little extra room in my shop I would have gone with the 315 but I dont feel limited in any way at all. I believe you can get the 315 in single phase so that would check another of your boxes. I dont believe the price difference between the SC4E and the 315 is very much. Overall one of the best upgrades to workflow I have made so far

Blog Entries
    Again, thanks for the replies.

Buying used is for sure an option, but I have to see it and try it first. I am considering some locally available, but nothing yet has been more than someone else’s problem being passed on. One didn’t tilt;another the powered fence didn’t move; and another was just old and worn; but I’m still open to the idea of buying used.

Three phase will cost me $10,000 to run the wiring and requires permits and, this being a leased space, that’s out. A phase converter is an option, but only if I get a deal too good to pass up on a 3 phase saw. If new one has single phase as an option, I will likely go with that option.

Good grief, I thought $12,500 was a high budget. I am seeing saws for more than 3 times that. I don’t need or want electronic moving fence and height adjustments. I worked at a shop with a $$$$$ slider with all that stuff and it was constantly broken. I am sure it is nice for a large production shop, but I am not that big and I really kind of enjoy the good ol’ manual way of doing things.

Felder is still in the lead so far for new options. Lots of bang for the buck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Whoops- somehow posted a pic of “Irma.” She is for sale, by the way, and I would take partial trade for a saw!

The Felder/Hammer and the SCM/Minimax are likely going to be the best options for new because you can get single phase with the capacity you want (AFAIK) and in general, for what you want, there are none of the fancy electronic movements, etc., that come at the next levels up (even with those brands).

$12K is really tight for your specifications as you are finding out. Two years ago, the S315WS had a list price of about $10K. But that was...two years ago. (But whatever it is now, it includes all the goodies and doesn't require a lot of extra expense for accessories) So as you compare machines, be sure to be having things configured like for like in case there is a need to add things to a machine to do that with a cost attached.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The Felder/Hammer and the SCM/Minimax are likely going to be the best options for new because you can get single phase with the capacity you want (AFAIK) and in general, for what you want, there are none of the fancy electronic movements, etc., that come at the next levels up (even with those brands).

$12K is really tight for your specifications as you are finding out. Two years ago, the S315WS had a list price of about $10K. But that was...two years ago. (But whatever it is now, it includes all the goodies and doesn't require a lot of extra expense for accessories) So as you compare machines, be sure to be having things configured like for like in case there is a need to add things to a machine to do that with a cost attached.
    Yes, thanks for the input. We actually upped the budget to $12,500 because that’s what the K500s is going to be, and at the time I thought that was top end price. Wow. I got schooled! It’s cheap for a new one of these. I now know that.

Yea, that's only top end for the lowest end machine. LOL (which is not a qualitative statement since these are all great machines...just a line positioning thing) The list price of my new short stroke SC3C was higher than the list price of the 2005 era S315WS it replaced, respective of when they were each purchased...by a surprising amount. 15 years will do that.
    --

If I have single phase 230V, in my garage, if a saw requires 460V 3 phase, is that something I can generate?

I have VFD's for my lathe and CNC, both converting to 3 phase 230V.