Thread: Laser Exhaust - Is this a bad idea?

Laser Exhaust - Is this a bad idea?

My shop is currently setup with a dust collection system using 6" spiral metal pipe running from my cyclone (located in an equipment room) with drops/blast gates at each machine. I'm wondering it I could/should utilize a section of the duct work for my laser exhaust. I would isolate the section of pipe from the cyclone with a blast gate (shown in red), and direct it to a dedicated blower to exhaust the laser fumes directly outside. I would also add a blast gate to isolate the laser exhaust blower, for when operating the cyclone. The attached diagram shows my current setup, with proposed additions in red.

My other option would be to run dedicated ducting for the laser, but just wondering if "sharing" some of the existing ducting is ok, which would same me some time and effort. unfortunately, running new duct work straight out next to the air compressor is not possible, due to obstructions.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 5.32.09 PM.png

-Joe

At least with the laser I use with wood and cardboard there are frequently visible flames and sometimes bits of burning material that get picked up by the exhaust. I wouldn't send that into a system that carries wood chips and sawdust. If you're only engraving on things like plexi and aluminum you might be fine with this idea, but the hazard seems not worth the cost of a little pipe. You don't need expensive spiral pipe and fittings for this use.

If it's a bad idea, then my setup is tantamount to the Titanic of air sucking--

I'll not try to explain these very much

First 3 pics, from my 'basement shop-there's a "big" HF blower outside the
    far wall in a shed--
    SK1.jpg

-and a small HF blower under the table holding up the barely visible LS100--
    SK2.jpg

SK3.jpg
    --I have those two blowers plumbed to 4 different lasers and 4 rotary-tool machines--

these 2 pics are from my garage shop--
    SK4.jpg

SK5.jpg
    -vent tubes going to 2 C02 lasers and 2 fibers,

---from these 2 HF basic blowers, outside my garage window that fit pretty well actually into a Home Depot
    patio storage box. Actually pretty quiet too! (I have more insulation I pack in around the blowers, and I
    cut 4" holes across from the blower-motor's air-vent fans, 9 years in that box so far, never an overheat
    issue; only had to replace one blower in 23 years!)
    blwr1.jpg

It all works well for me, so all can say is, it's not a bad idea unless the neighbors complain! (and oddly enough, they don't!) thumbup.gif
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, but I think ideal would be dedicated. I think you will get residue in your dust collector and it could slowly hurt it/clog it. It would be very slow and minor but it probably would distribute some unpleasant smells depending on what you are cutting. If adding a motor and outside exhaust is easy enough do that if not then I’m sure it would be fine.