Thread: Source for parts for a file cabinet

Source for parts for a file cabinet

Looking to build a credenza and file cabinet to go with my oak desk. Looking for sources for the metal parts for file folders that go inside the drawers. Thanks for any help. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I built this lateral file, but wanted the file folders facing the front.
    20220324_142039.jpg20230319_172930.jpg
    I purchased the file hanger hardware from Woodworkers Hardware. My file drawers are almost 36" wide so I got extra heavy duty drawer slides KV 8800 from Woodworker Hardware.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Amazon search for file frame
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I purchased the file hanger hardware from Woodworkers Hardware. My file drawers are almost 36" wide so I got extra heavy duty drawer slides KV 8800 from Woodworker Hardware.
    Thanks Lee. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Lee I normally build drawer boxes from 5/8" material, curious if you used 3/4" on this for the extra support? thanks Brian
    Brian

Rather than buy ready-made frames, I just used pieces of 1/8" by 3/4" aluminum bar stock from the home center for these. The notches were setup to support both letter and legal sized folders.

folders.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Search for "file cabinet hardware", you will get plenty of results from Rockler to Staples and too many more to list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Lee I normally build drawer boxes from 5/8" material, curious if you used 3/4" on this for the extra support? thanks Brian
    Those drawer sides are 1/2" Yellow Poplar. They have held up fine so far. The cabinet was competed in November 2021.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute