Thread: What is this

Blog Entries

What is this

I was refinishing an early 20th century file cabinet and found this tucked in a corner. At first glance, it appears to be some sort of tapestry needle but I cant find it on the inter web.

It’s hard to see but there’s a small hole on the right end.
    what look like the eyes are different. There are two pieces of metal bent to meet and overlap, sort of like crossed fingers.

26B60672-46C1-46C9-B009-CC30E9B67FB7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I was refinishing an early 20th century file cabinet and found this tucked in a corner. At first glance, it appears to be some sort of tapestry needle but I cant find it on the inter web.

It’s hard to see but there’s a small hole on the right end.
    what look like the eyes are different. There are two pieces of metal bent to meet and overlap, sort of like crossed fingers.

It reminds me some kind of hand stitching tool, maybe for leather.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    It is the arrow that was shot at Mr. Singer (in his dream the night before he had his breakthrough with the invention of the sewing machine).
    Best Regards, Maurice

looks like a double ended sailmakers needle to me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    It is the arrow that was shot at Mr. Singer (in his dream the night before he had his breakthrough with the invention of the sewing machine).
    HA! There was only a hole at one end, not two holes.. (and I heard the story as him being attacked by spear bearing savages, with all the spears having a hole at the business end.)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    looks like a double ended sailmakers needle to me.
    I think Dave is right. Go to Google check-out

If it had a handle on one end it would look very much like the tool used to patch a punctured tubeless automobile tire - put a length of fat sealing cord through the eye and push into the hole then pull out the tool and the sticky cord is left behind, the loose ends plugging the puncture.

But the point on the other end and no handle would eliminate that use since the tire tool requires considerable pushing/pulling force.

I guess I could see it as a hand-held sewing tool for some kind of coarse fabric that didn’t take a lot of pushing force. (or fishing nets or somesuch?) In sewing up a horse blanket yesterday - horses can tear up ANYTHING - there were some places I wished I could push in the “thread” from one side, feed a back “thread” through the loop, and pull out then tool and pull the “threads” tight.

(I say “threads” but I actually use a tough waxed cord, very strong, made for leather I think. It’s difficult sewing, even when first enlarging the hole where necessary with an awl. And hour and a half to save a $150 blanket? Worth the effort, especially with temps in the low 20s predicted the next few days! )

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Given the length, 8-1/2", it might be for binding a stack of papers together.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Yep it’s a netting needle
    https://trc-leiden.nl/trc-needles/to...netting-needle
    the left one.
    I got the cabinet when I lived in Kansas City. I wonder where it got a netting needle.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 03-18-2023 at 1:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    HA! There was only a hole at one end, not two holes.. (and I heard the story as him being attacked by spear bearing savages, with all the spears having a hole at the business end.)
    It is a great and true account of the events that led to the invention of the sewing machine. It is a story my Mom loves to tell. She has the details in a book, I bet they are on the web too.
    Best Regards, Maurice

the left one.
    I got the cabinet when I lived in Kansas City. I wonder where it got a netting needle.
    Great sleuthing!

the left one.
    Doesn't the LONGEST RIVER in the United States flow somewhere near KC? Maybe someone used it make nets for seining fish out of the river, or landing one of those monster sized cat fish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Doesn't the LONGEST RIVER in the United States flow somewhere near KC? Maybe someone used it make nets for seining fish out of the river, or landing one of those monster sized cat fish.
    true. I’ve never seen anyone fishing the rivers with a net but you never know. I heard that the monster catfish aren’t very good eating.

Blog Entries
    Commercial fishing on the Missouri River stoped in the early 1980's due to elevated levels of mercury in the fish. A few of the net fishermen are still alive. Hoop nets and trammel nets were used in our area. It was a very exciting to be present when a boat came in. It was even more exciting to get to go along. We learned to catch Flathead with live bait on Diddy poles. It is one of the few fish that I liked to eat. It is inadvisable to eat more than a helping to two of Missouri River fish per year.
    Best Regards, Maurice