Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growth ring contest

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I remember reading in Smithsonian magazine in the 1980's about trees in Canada that were puzzling scientists because they had no growth rings. Turns out they just needed more magnification. These were small trees about the size of a baseball bat.

Ontario's oldest trees - Ontario's old growth forests

White Cedar Thuja occidentalis 1316 Niagara Escarpment Dwarfed cliff cedar, germinated 688 AD. Kelly and Larson 2004, Kelly and Larson 2007, Larson 2005. Photo
    1890 Niagara Escarpment This ancient cliff cedar had been dead for centuries but was preserved under a rock overhang. 1567 rings were counted, estimated age 1890 years. Larson 2001, Larson 2005, Kelly and Larson 2007
    1653 Niagara Escarpment 1653 rings were counted on a dead trunk. This is the longest complete ring count on an ancient cedar in Ontario. Kelly and Larson 2007
    I'll bet bristlecone pine would be like that- supposedly some of the oldest living things. In the white mountains (CA), the forest service cut a lot of them to make sign posts.

"Maloof- Type" details? what exactly are you referring to? Can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Andrew, I didn't notice the pics at first, nicely done. I especially like the "Maloof-type" details in some of the joinery and the ogee design in the retention rail (proper term?) running the outside perimeter of the top.

Look where the apron is joined to the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    "Maloof- Type" details? what exactly are you referring to? Can you explain?
    Edit: Andrew did it differently, his design is more linear in the joinery, just reminded me of how Sam Maloof would 'bury' one component into the other.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 03-19-2023 at 1:36 PM.

I saw that.
    You should know that joint is a standard joint and has been around for a thousand years before Maloof ever existed. It is in no way attributable to Sam Maloof!

Look where the apron is joined to the leg.

I'm aware. Nobody has used it as prominently in their work as he has though (as far as I know).

I saw that.
    You should know that joint is a standard joint and has been around for a thousand years before Maloof ever existed. It is in no way attributable to Sam Maloof!

I saw that.
    Too me the joint is called a masons miter or gunstock joint. Very fun to make due to high challenge
    I saw it on Edward Barnsleys work. One of my favorite woodworking craftsman
    Aj

It is a nice joint that requires precision to fit.

It has many applications in furniture, windows, doors and timber framing.

You did a fine job on that piece!

I also like Barnsley's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Too me the joint is called a masons miter or gunstock joint. Very fun to make due to high challenge
    I saw it on Edward Barnsleys work. One of my favorite woodworking craftsman

You don't need a full tank of gas to drive that far.

(as far as I know).

My original comment was meant to be a compliment. That said, quite witty (and rude) post.

You don't need a full tank of gas to drive that far.

Whoever was the first to do it, whatever it's called, it was the first thing I noticed when I zoomed in on the pick. And it was beautifully done!

This is from a cedar 2 x 4 I found in my basement. It’s perfectly quarter sawn.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice. I count just over 50. Might be more measured directly across the vertical grain.

About ten years back we milled up a cypress log that had over 1000 growth rings in it. It was around 35" diameter and came from a section of the tree that was around 60' above the ground.

The project that it was for is detailed in this post.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....common-project

Here is a close up of some of the grain. I counted 88 growth rings per inch. Due to the close proximity, I had to magnify the photo on my computer screen in order to count them.

Tight_growth_rings21.jpg

Wow, Andrew, that's a beautiful table. I was going to show a picture of a bench I made from quarter sawn construction material but not after you posted that table

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    About ten years back we milled up a cypress log that had over 1000 growth rings in it. It was around 35" diameter and came from a section of the tree that was around 60' above the ground.

The project that it was for is detailed in this post.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....common-project

Here is a close up of some of the grain. I counted 88 growth rings per inch. Due to the close proximity, I had to magnify the photo on my computer screen in order to count them.

Tight_growth_rings21.jpg

Ding Ding... we have a front-runner!