Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growth ring contest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Wow, Andrew, that's a beautiful table. I was going to show a picture of a bench I made from quarter sawn construction material but not after you posted that table

Mike
    Thanks Mike .
    I believe I’m in 3 or 4 place on ring count. Scott’s winning with his 1000 ring wood.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Here are some scraps from instrument tops that are fairly nice.

IMG_1340.jpg DSCN1897.jpg DSCN1809.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-23-2023 at 9:59 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

This “log” was given to me many years ago. It’s ~ 4” diameter x 6” long and heavy for its size. The black center is end to end. No idea what kind of wood it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    This “log” was given to me many years ago. It’s ~ 4” diameter x 6” long and heavy for its size. The black center is end to end. No idea what kind of wood it is.
    I have never seen wood like that. I am very curious....

We have the national champion wild plum in a little park on the east side of town. It should be in bloom next week. I am going to see if I can hunt it down for a photo. There is a fun list of champion trees on the web.

Champion Trees Registry - American Forests
    Best Regards, Maurice

I used to make business card holders out of various woods, and some Hemlock had small growth rings, but the smallest was Yellow Cedar.
    The third and fourth photos show the edge of the card boxes; Yellow Cedar on the left and Hemlock on the right.

133.jpg SAM_1328.jpg PXL_20230325_033114013.jpg PXL_20230325_033114013.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    We have the national champion Goose Plum in a little park on the east side of town. It should be in bloom next week. I am going to see if I can hunt it down for a photo. There is a fun list of champion trees on the web.

Champion Trees Registry - American Forests
    It is a very humble champion.
    It is in Eastport Park, 5620 Murfreesboro Dr, Columbia, MO 65201

IMG_1345 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards, Maurice

Here's a piece of 6x8 (5 1/8"x7") DF. This was construction lumber.

319 growth rings, about 45/inch average. Tightest 1" section 84 rings. Counted with 12x loupe and needle probe.

IMG_4348.jpg

Wow. I’d like to see the end of the whole log.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I don't think I have anything that could compete with that. I'm also not going to look through my entire stash, just sayin.
    I'll go the opposite direction.
    Monterey Pine.
    These trees don't go dormant, they continue to grow during the winter, so this tree is quite young.
    32" diameter, about 40 years old
    20230116_123639 (600 x 277).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I don't think I have anything that could compete with that. I'm also not going to look through my entire stash, just sayin.
    I'll go the opposite direction.
    Monterey Pine.
    These trees don't go dormant, they continue to grow during the winter, so this tree is quite young.
    32" diameter, about 40 years old
    20230116_123639 (600 x 277).jpg

My grandmother planted some in the late '50s. They were cut down maybe 2010 at a cost of many thousands of $. At least 5' diameter at the base. The stumps are still there, I could check. They have a limited, rather short lifespan.

Some of the growth rings in the plantation grown SYP PT 2x's I see are 1/2" across.

Back to the point of the thread, when I would remodel a small house built in the 40's and 50's, the door rails and stiles were usually solid pine and often obviously milled from virgin timber with growth rings evenly spaced 1/32 to 1/16 inch apart. Sometimes perfectly quarter sawn. All were saved (we're not talking about any huge amount, but still...) and used in various aspects of our house that we built decades later. A small but nice perk.