Thread: Recent bowl and some questions

Recent bowl and some questions

I won a blank at my local club (in Utah) but nobody knew what type of wood it is. No bark was on it and it turned fairly easily. I’ve never turned anything that looks like this, any ideas?

Also, I turned it green and have sanded it to 400 but now I’m wondering how to finish it. I have only turned a dozen or so bowls and have always used Watco Danish oil but I don’t want to darken/yellow this one. Was wondering if I could do sanding sealer (Deft) + Deft spray lacquer, or even lacquer alone? Any recommendations?

It is 10.5” x 3”. Comments/critiques would be appreciated (I feel the foot is a little too small for the size of bowl but it sits stable).
    Thanks

Tom

E58E9904-6DAF-4483-82C0-C30BC5CAD64E.jpg78078E40-EFF7-433A-8AE0-9B3BCF439AD6.jpg

It almost looks like sycamore based on some of the reddish brown dots I can sort of make out in the edges, but I’m probably wrong. Nice looking bowl.

I would guess it's hackberry. Hackberry is really prone to dark staining, and the grain has the "W" pattern characteristic of hackberry (also elm).

https://www.wood-database.com/hackberry/

Water based finishes tend to be colorless. Among oil based finishes, I've found that mohawk tung oil finish, though it is amber, doesn't tend to impart that much color. It may be because it's kind of thick and may not saturate fibers as deeply. Doctors woodshop walnut oil finishes are pretty light. Many waxes impart little color. The hackberry is not likely to show much chatoyance, so you probably don't need something that penetrates much to enhance visual depth.

Best,

Dave

The rings remind me of Ash and I have seen Ash darkly colored like that. But I'm not all that confident that is what you have there.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks for all the input.