Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yorahome silverback 6060

Yorahome silverback 6060

Anybody using the Yorahome silverback 6060 CNC machine. This is the one i am considering getting. Total newbie to this.
    Plan on using it for wood projects only

I haven't but it looks pretty cool for a nice startup machine. In looking through the literature it seems like it is supported by Vectric but I'd double confirm that. That's good news to me. If a CNC isn't supported by Vectric Vcarve Desktop or Pro I wouldn't get it. To me the CAD/CAM is pretty important and with Vectric being so widely used, easy to use and supported on the Vectric forums, I'd have a hard time recommending anything else.

That looks like a lot of machine for the money. Ball screws, steppers on both sides of the Y-axis, spindle included, pretty impressive. Worth looking into. V-Carve is not that much for the 24 x 24 format, so that would be my choice. If you upgrade to the larger format you can upgrade to V-Carve Pro just for the difference in price.

John

The literature indicates it is compatible with Vectric and runs on an Arduino loaded with Grbl. Vectric has post processors for Grbl (inch) and Grbl (mm).
    David

vcarve 1.jpg
    vcarve 2.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 03-17-2023 at 9:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin juresich View Post
    Anybody using the Yorahome silverback 6060 CNC machine. This is the one i am considering getting. Total newbie to this.
    Plan on using it for wood projects only

Full disclosure - I am the Tech Support Manager for YoraHome; would have responded sooner, but took a bit for approval in the forum.

The SilverBack utilizes a standard GRBL based controller, and is compatible with any software that is capable of exporting standard g-code.

While we recommend use of Easel on our site, that is primarily to facilitate ease of use for the average user - it has a easier learning curve to get started. We also are an Inventables partner, so setup of the machine is easier in Easel, as the machine profile is present.

We are in the works with Vectric to become a partner as well; hoping to get the machine profiles entered in VCarve at a minimum.

I use VCarve Desktop whenever I want to do any advanced carves, 3D carving, etc. - As others in this thread have noted, Vectric has standard gcode post-processing that will work just fine. Have tested minimally with VTransfer, I personally don't really like the interface. Most times, I just export the gcode and then use Easel as a sender for convenience.

We have also tested operation with UGS, OpenBuilds, gSender, and Candle - all successfully.

The SilverBack was developed in-house, using a lot of input from our customer base - that's what drove some of the design characteristics.
    Key items, as noted in the thread and on our site:
    Lead screws on all axis (12mm for X/Y, 10mm for Z)
    NEMA 23 Steppers, with DM542 drivers
    48VDC 500W spindle with ER11 chuck (1/8" collet) is included with the machine
    Spindle mount accepts Makita RT0701C router motor for upgrade

One of our bigger points that we take pride in - support.
    Take a look on Facebook at the YoraHome CNC Users Group (not sure if links are permitted); we have opened this group to the public so you can see what is being done with the machines.
    Need to talk to someone about product selection prior to purchase? Give us a call - you're going to get a real person (unless they're already on a call - leave a message and we'll call back).
    Customer Service and Tech Support are all US based - our warehouse is in WV, I'm in OH - we also have a small showroom here in OH if you're local and want to come check things out.

All customers are also entitled to a free one hour one-on-one session with a tech agent to cover setup, assembly, getting started, etc.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like to get answered about our machines, please let me know!

Thanks for the information Jim, looks like a great little machine.

Thanks for that info, I've been playing with carbide create which i like as it is very easy to use, also been playing with Vcarve, Aspire, cut 2D and carveco maker which i like the least of the bunch

Carbide Create is a good basic application. Just keep in mind that you will likely grow out of it, perhaps even quickly, depending on how fast you learn and what you decide to make. One nice thing about the Vectric applications is that you can start at the lower level and upgrade for only the difference in cost...and the UI stays the same. That means if you learn Cut2D or VCarve Desktop, upgrading to VCarvePro or Aspire means you retain everything you've already learned. You're just adding features/capabilities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point

ER-11 collets go up to 5/16", but that spindle motor is really small. If you go with the Makita, it would be nice to be able to use 1/2" shanks. 1/8" shank bits snap like toothpicks. Pretty pricey for what you get in my opinion.

The Makita is a fine little router and surprisingly durable, but it wouldn't handle 1/2" bits well even if it could. It's not made for the level of work. 1/8" endmills work fine for me as long as I stay within the recommended speeds, feeds, and chip loads. I've broken several but it was always because I strayed outside the recommended parameters.

My OneFinity ships with a mount for the Makita router. They offer an 80 mm mount upgrade, too, and that's what folks who want to upgrade to a spindle with higher HP, VFD, and an ER-20 collet go to. I'll probably do that at some point, but the little Makita router is more than capable for everything I've asked of it. For production work? No discussion there. Get the spindle. But then you'd probably want a higher level CNC to start with.

Overall, the Yorahome offers a lot of machine for the money for hobbyists like me.

John

I've broken more .25" shank tooling than .125" shank tooling on my CNC, but it's always human error that causes it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did just buy the makita router that is recommended for the yorahome cnc and other machines as well. I like it, its a nice littler router.

The Makita comes standard with a .25" collet - we do sell a proper .125" collet for it as well.

For those speaking to the stock spindle - yes, it will bog down on larger bits if running deep passes; I personally run the Makita for big jobs. I just did a surfacing pass (had to knock 2mm off) of a block of walnut - about 14x20 inches. Used a 7/8" surfacing bit in the stock spindle. Wanted to keep it conservative, so I made 0.5mm passes. Biggest issue I had was the sheer amount of dust it scattered (didn't have the dust shoe installed while I wait for a new hose...).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've broken more .25" shank tooling than .125" shank tooling on my CNC, but it's always human error that causes it.
    Same here LOL. Haven’t broken too many but every time it had been me messing things up.