Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robust Comfort Rest versus Nova Modular tool rest

I also have both the Sinner and Robust rest. I prefer the low profile as it is better for me inside bowls. Hard to say if Sinner or Robust is better as I have the 14” Sinner used when that is the best size, but use the 12” Robust when that size is the best to use.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I did make inside bowl rests for a while, but quit making them because the 'business' took up all of my play time. For a straight rest, which I almost made, I prefer a straight angled one rather than the curved one like Robust makes. I am talking about the support bar under the hardened drill rod. The curved ones that Robust sells, I do use them, but I feel that they are made for specific hand sizes, and just don't 'feel' right for me. I attended the Oregon Wood Turning Symposium last weekend, and Big Monk Lumber was there and he had some of the Steve Sinner rests. They are well made, but I don't care for the design. D Way Tools was there as well, Jimmy is making some longer straight rests, and they are the round bar rests. I use a couple of his short box rests which I love, but still prefer the angled rests for straight rests and spindle work. The thing with the larger diameter round bar, as you raise and lower your handle, the fulcrum point moves. I don't like that. D Way is now selling hardened M42 HSS for epoxying onto your standard tool rests. That should work well. I would think, that like the hardened drill rod, you could weld them in place if you have welding experience, and the hardening of the bar should not be bothered. It didn't bother the A2 drill rod that I used for my rests. Robust is making a similar to mine, S shaped inside bowl rest now. I told Brent to go ahead with it. He does make a very good product.

robo hippy

thanks for the help