Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robust Comfort Rest versus Nova Modular tool rest

Robust Comfort Rest versus Nova Modular tool rest

I was thinking about buying a large Robust Comfort Rest. I have never used one (or seen one in person) but it looks good to be able to keep your hand under the tool. Now I see that Nova modular rests look similar. I can not find the dimensions of the the top part of the rest itself. How do they compare? Is the nova rest as wide from top to bottom (not talking about the post) to get hand underneath. I currently have Oneway rests. Worth getting something new or not much of a difference really?

Thanks,
    David

I can't comment on the Nova but the Robust rest was probably the best lathe accessory I ever bought.
    The top never gets dings or nicks, tools slide easily, it just works well.

The Nova rest is no where near as tough as the robust. Mine gave way as the weld broke. They are probably ok on smaller lathes and sizes. I have several of the modular box rests and they are good.
    Where did I put those band aids?

I have a variety on Robust rests and recommend them highly. I haven’t used any of my non-Robust rests for years (I’ve given most away)

I have no experience with the Nova modular rests. I see the Klingspor site gives dimensions for one, 12”x1-1/4”

One thing that concerns me about the Nova is this statement from their manual: “PLEASE ENSURE THE TOOLBAR IS FIRMLY THREADED ONTO THE TOOLPOST AND IS SEATED TIGHTLY BEFORE USE. INCORRECT SEATING MAY LEAD TO DETACHMENT, FAILURE AND INJURY.” Seems like it could be a disaster if the threads holding the long horizontal rest to the post came loose, say with vibration from heavy cuts cuts or a catch. This couldn’t happen with a welded post.

Of course if the tool post on any rest loosened in the banjo it could also be dangerous. However the clamp mechanisms on all my lathes are quite sturdy.

Also, I like grabbing a rest from the rack and quickly putting it into the banjo. I’m not sure I would enjoy the extra steps of detaching the horizontal rest and attaching a different one to the tool post, then making sure the threads were REALLY tight each time I switched (and I switch a lot between 4 or 5 tool rests.) With a modular system I’d want a separate toolpost for each rest which might be a consideration of comparing prices (but I didn’t check prices).

I also didn’t compare the warranties on the Nova and Robust. Robust has an unconditional lifetime warranty, or at least they did the last time I ordered some.

(It might sound like I am hawking for Robust but i'm just a satisfied customer!)

JKJ

I agree with the others on Robust rests - all I use. But, I prefer the low profile rather than the comfort style.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I've got the 12 inch nova modular rest and a robust 6 inch as well as 12 inch j rest. The nova works fine for spindle work, but was terrible for bowls, would unthread until I used permanent thread lock on it. The tool rest is definitely lighter weight than the robust. I would go for the robust.

Robust tool rest for me also. One of the few woodworking accessory purchases I could not find anything to complain about.

thanks a lot. I will buy a robust. The posts are not too expensive - I was assuming i would just leave it in. I may by a box one though from Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    thanks a lot. I will buy a robust. The posts are not too expensive - I was assuming i would just leave it in. I may by a box one though from Nova.
    Box rests are great, makes working inside a deep box easier. I have one from Robust and one from Best Wood Tools.

Steve Sinner also makes a tool rest with a hardened rod steel rod on top. I've got a bunch of Robust tool rests, but plan to try a Sinner one next time I make a purchase. The advantage claimed for the Sinner rest is that it allows allows more flexibility with how you use your gouge. Specifically that you can drop the gouge handle lower, like you might want to do with shear scraping. With the Robust, comfort rest at least, the angle is limited a bit more by the handle hitting the post or the base of the tool rest.

Sinner tool rests are available from AdvancedLatheTools.com or from the Sanding Glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    …The advantage claimed for the Sinner rest is that it allows allows more flexibility …you can drop the gouge handle lower, like you might want to do with shear scraping. With the Robust, comfort rest at least, the angle is limited a bit more by the handle hitting the post or the base of the tool rest.
    That’s true. I’ve gone to the Robust low profile for almost all turning which gives more clearance.

There are a few cases where the comfort rest has advantages so I keep one long one. I have a photo of one of these advantages in action if I can remember to post it when I’m not reading SMC from this iPadI

i just ordered a standard robust 15 inch long post (I have a big oneway)- you think it it better to order the low profile? What is the difference in size in terms of getting your hand under the tool? Thanks

you might call Robust, tell them what you want to do with it, and ask for advice. they can give you pros and cons of both types

i just ordered a standard robust 15 inch long post (I have a big oneway)- you think it it better to order the low profile? What is the difference in size in terms of getting your hand under the tool? Thanks
    Hi David, go to turnrobust.com and find the toolrest page. There is a video that will probably tell you what you need to know.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

I have both the Robust and Steve Sinner (Advanced lathe tools) tool rests and prefer the Steve Sinner rests myself.