Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been awhile

Been awhile

I haven't been on the forum for a couple of years. Retired and that has taken most of my time. My last posts were mostly about building workbenches and that with other workholding solutions has been my interest for the last year or two. I've had simple criteria, the workholding system had to be easy to build, inexpensive, portable (fit in the motorhome bins), easy to take apart and put together with just the use of a mallet, the modules have to be transportable by a single person, and last and most important hold the workpiece without compromise. I've come up three units, the first is the Moravian workbench thanks to Will Myers there wasn't much butt scratching involved. Will just copied an original Moravian bench and I copied Will. The Moravian bench can be scaled from small to large shop sized, I've built both and both work a treat. The next was a shave horse. I built a couple of different styles settling on a 'deadhead' horse because it allowed the head module to be fixed to the the horse base with a wedge meeting the put together/take apart with a mallet requirement. The third is a spoon mule. The horse and mule share a base but have different holding requirements. The horse "clamps" from the top where the mule "clamps" from the sides. The mule clamping module is pretty simple much simpler to build than the horse module but, there is always that but, it took some fiddling to get everything working.

Bottom line I've three functional workholding systems that meet all the above criteria.

Photos to follow.

ken
    Last edited by kenneth hatch; 04-05-2023 at 3:43 PM.

Shave Horse:

shaveHorse2.jpg

Shave Mule:

shaveMule2.jpg

Moravian Bench with first Shave Horse prototype:

moravianBench.jpg

Anyone interested in building any of the three I will be happy to help.

ken

Blog Entries
    Welcome back Ken, looking forward to some more great ideas on horse building.

There is a hunk of wood in my shop that has just been waiting to be made into a shave horse for chairs and/or spoons.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome back, Ken. Congrats on retirement! You still in the Tucson area?

Hey Ken, great to hear from you. Have always enjoyed your posts and was wondering about your radio silence over just the past couple of days. Happy retirement and glad to see you back.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice to see you back Ken. Always enjoyed your posts. Hope things in the desert are good. I agree that the retirement thing is something that has to be worked into.
    Last edited by James Pallas; 04-05-2023 at 5:26 PM.

Thanks Jim,

Go for it, I've found for spoons and such the mule is a much better option that will still work to make sticks. It is one of those things where is it good to have both.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Welcome back Ken, looking forward to some more great ideas on horse building.

There is a hunk of wood in my shop that has just been waiting to be made into a shave horse for chairs and/or spoons.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Welcome back, Ken. Congrats on retirement! You still in the Tucson area?
    Thanks Mike,

In Tucson most of the time. We will leave for Oregon the middle of next month, back in Oct.

ken

Thanks Chris,

Other than horses and mules there hasn't been much to write about plus we've been on the road a lot.

ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hey Ken, great to hear from you. Have always enjoyed your posts and was wondering about your radio silence over just the past couple of days. Happy retirement and glad to see you back.

Best,
    Chris

Wondered what happened to you. Very glad to see you back with us!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks James,

It couldn't be better other than maybe 20 years younger :-). I know it is a cliche but how did I find time to work before, retirement is a full time job but I am learning.
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Nice to see you back Ken. Always enjoyed your posts. Hope things in the desert are good. I agree that the retirement thing is something that has to be worked into.

Thanks Fred,

Lost souls do wander back, sometimes.

ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wondered what happened to you. Very glad to see you back with us!

Hey Ken,

Good to see you back around these parts. I'm not going to lie, I'm envious about getting out of the Sonoran desert for the summer
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Is there a way to see these for someone who can’t see these on here? Thanks in advance