Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jar opener

jar opener

We didn't know these things existed until we had lunch with friends yesterday. Seem they had gotten one for Geri's mother and kept it when she passed, only to find, they now use it! We never had heard of them but we need one now. Arthritis does it's number on your hand strength. Can anyone that has one share your experiences or recommendations?

The best one I have had, and now the only one I have, is the OXO version. I got mine for 50 cents at a thrift shop, but it's very handy and probably worth the retail price. It really bites into the lid and it stays aligned easily, so it doesn't slip off like some do.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...51377206&psc=1

'Had one in our family home while growing up. Should actually try and find one again since my hands are, um...not what they used to be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you, just ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    The best one I have had, and now the only one I have, is the OXO version. I got mine for 50 cents at a thrift shop, but it's very handy and probably worth the retail price. It really bites into the lid and it stays aligned easily, so it doesn't slip off like some do.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...51377206&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Something similar to this was purchased from our local grocer:

Gripper Pads.png

This image came from Amazon when searching > rubber grip pad

One in each hand on the top and bottom of a jar has worked fine for me. An extra set was purchased because they also help to keep things from slipping on the bench.

Another item that works for me is the tourniquets the phlebotomists use when taking blood at the hospital. They tend to throw them in the trash after each use and give them to me if asked.

A large rubber band can also help to increase one's grip.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Depending on the size of the jar, an oil filter wrench works well.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

When I was a kid a POPULAR magazine did a piece on jar openers. Piece of wood with with piece of loop of leather. We have a real

smart group here ,so I’m not gonna draw a picture.

I've had the strap wrench kind and they are harder to control, and the strap slips off sometimes on skinny lids. It would be easy enough to make a version of the OXO opener, with a bit of thin plywood, some solid lumber and two pieces of hacksaw blade about 4" long.

My brother taught me hold the lid steady and twist the jar. It does work better that way.
    Bill D

We have a really old one from about 70 years ago, but the one above on Amazon is now what we use.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My mom used to have one that mounted under a kitchen cabinet. It had a V groove with serrated teeth. You pushed the jar lid into the V and then twisted the jar to open. It worked well and we never had to search for it in a drawer of stuff.

Most troubles opening a jar come from the tight vacuum seal. Years ago we discovered Jar Keys and now rarely have any trouble opening jars. After breaking the seal most open easily, even by my arthritic hands. If the key won't work, then the silicone grip pad gets used. If that dosen't work I go to the huge channel locks from the tool kit.

My wife isn't a strong person physically. One of my sisters observed my wife's difficulties in opening jars during a visit. A battery operated electric jar opener appeared on our doorstep one day courtesy of Amazona and that sister.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    The OXO is also good for opening the Mason jars I keep finishes in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Growing up we had the T-handle gear type, now I'm using the thin silicone pads which work pretty well.