Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extinct Campbells soups

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Patty walk me thru the Green Pea soup making. Can't eat peas or split pea soup however always enjoyed Campbell's green pea soup made with milk, mixed in the blender and microwaved to heat it
    thanks
    Ron
    Ron, I'm going to do this in two posts.
    First one (now) I can do off the top of my head.
    First thing: there are umpteen ways to make soup and every person has a preferred way, meaning you will hear my way (someone please cue Frank Sinatra).

2) A lot of soup recipes call for "blending" to a partial or perhaps total puree. You could use the big container Waring/Oster type blenders, but they tend to be messy and also a pain to clean (too many parts) .
    Also with very hot soup (which is what you will be blending) there is a danger of it spattering because you have to vent the top (don't ask me how I know this).
    My Waring adventure convinced me to buy and Immersion blender** (CuisineArt) and blending soup is actually fun rather than the part I dread.

3) I'm not a "purist" (Mother Jones type) about it. I use ready made stocks***, canned and frozen ingredients, but also some fresh (all beans/legumes are from a can or frozen... )
    Most of the seasonings are dried (i.e. from the spice rack) I do not grow any of my own tho some friends do so occasionally I have fresh herbs etc.

4) I make it on a stovetop in a conventional (tho' large) cookpot.
    Recipe(s), I suppose, could be adapted to a pressure cooker/crockpot/Instant pot if one knows how to do that.

** I cannot recommend an I-B enough (aka "Stick" blender), at least for making soups. But it is useful for other food prep as well.
    *** Stocks not Broth. Stock is heartier (more flavorful), and the ones I use --Kitchen Basics-- has unsalted as well as Salted versions.
    Broth can be used, but flavor will be a bit less "full bodied" (I believe that is the term )

OK...now I have to sift through the stack of recipes sitting on the top of the M/W...
    Stay tuned for Part II
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-17-2023 at 9:29 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

takes me two days to make soup. stock first day then second day meat back in and sauteed and not sauteed other stuff. Lasts for seven days have to freeze it and been making it with Kasha, thing my grandmother made as a kid. Ive looked up buckwhat a number of times and lots of good stuff about it.

Ill admit to that canned stuff some amount of times but its hard to really enjoy stuff after you read the label. Bought the home made in the jar stuff but can still make better

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    takes me two days to make soup. stock first day then second day meat back in and sauteed and not sauteed other stuff. Lasts for seven days have to freeze it and been making it with Kasha, thing my grandmother made as a kid. Ive looked up buckwhat a number of times and lots of good stuff about it.

Ill admit to that canned stuff some amount of times but its hard to really enjoy stuff after you read the label. Bought the home made in the jar stuff but can still make better
    I really don't enjoy cooking...am pretty much an "eat to live" person. There are other things I'd rather do with my time.
    But I don't eat a lot of bad stuff (like fast food)* (except Oreos)** and prefer unprocessed/minimally processed foods if they are [relatively] easy to obtain and affordable.
    ("Organic" food as it is priced in the food stores/"whole paycheck" stores is not affordable, not for me anyway.)
    The canned stuff I use in the soup contains the one main ingredient and salt, the stock contains whatever the "stock" ingredients are, plus salt/minimal salt (no gluten, msg etc)
    Frozen vegs are pretty much just that one thing.

*Haven't darkened the doorway of a fast food place in over 40 years, except for coffee (McD's coffee is still good on a travel stop), nor do I eat frozen fast food.
    I do not care for the taste of salt in my food and in all FF I could always taste the salt. "Foods seasoned with salt should not taste of salt."

** Actually Oreos are junk food, not fast food. Can't say I don't like junk food.
    I like Ice cream (Coffee flavored best, then vanilla), fruit pies (rhubarb, apple, peach) strawberry shortcake, occasionally cake/cupcakes, also black licorice (the real stuff) and ....chocolate (always and forever )
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-17-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Wow, I was upset that it went up to $1.50 a can at my local store. Paid that for Campbells condensed Tomato soup this afternoon. Other than the Manhattan style clam, and oyster stew, which I haven't seen for years, tomato is the only one I consume. A large mug of hot soup is a go to snack on a cold damp day. Somewhere in my childhood, soup and crackers got disgusting, but I and my bros and sisters put small or broken pretzels in tomato soup. I keep pretzels around just for soup. Rarely eat them otherwise.

then dont try sour dough danish ones or it will be often.

"Stock is heartier (more flavorful), and the ones I use --Kitchen Basics-- has unsalted as well as Salted versions"

I also typically use Kitchen Basics, as many others have added sugar.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    "Stock is heartier (more flavorful), and the ones I use --Kitchen Basics-- has unsalted as well as Salted versions"

I also typically use Kitchen Basics, as many others have added sugar.
    And... AND.... some are just chock-a-block loaded with salt. I think Wolfgang Puck's stock (if its' still around) has half again the sodium content of KB's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Because they can....

I was never an Andy Warhol fan. Our kids took their art classes very seriously and informed me that his work is important. It at very least durable.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Ron, I'm going to do this in two posts.

2) A lot of soup recipes call for "blending" to a partial or perhaps total puree. You could use the big container Waring/Oster type blenders, but they tend to be messy and also a pain to clean (too many parts) .
    Also with very hot soup (which is what you will be blending) there is a danger of it spattering because you have to vent the top (don't ask me how I know this).
    My Waring adventure convinced me to buy and Immersion blender** (CuisineArt) and blending soup is actually fun rather than the part I dread.
    I made a pretty good imitation of Cambells (condensed) Pea Soup with this recipe:https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...reen-pea-soup/

I used only about 2/3 rds the liquid specified. An immersion blender didn't grind it as fine as Campbells. It left distinct pieces of pea skins intact. I let the soup cool and purreed it in a container type blender. That mached the texture of Campbells.

The recipe had more of an onion flavor than Campbells, so I suggest using less onions and using white onions.

I'm curious whether "authentic" New England Clam Chowder usually has some sand and grit in it (from the clams). Most brands of canned clam chowder I've tried have a little grit in them. Cambells (condensed) New England Clam chowder doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I made a pretty good imitation of Cambells (condensed) Pea Soup with this recipe:https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...reen-pea-soup/

I used only about 2/3 rds the liquid specified. An immersion blender didn't grind it as fine as Campbells. It left distinct pieces of pea skins intact. I let the soup cool and purreed it in a container type blender. That mached the texture of Campbells.

The recipe had more of an onion flavor than Campbells, so I suggest using less onions and using white onions.
    That recipe is simpler than mine... but almost the same ingredients (mine has a chopped up carrot and some celery added).
    But I still prefer using the Immersion/stick blender because I dont' like pureeing it in batches, and I hate cleaning the blender container (taking it apart etc).
    I don't mind that it's not as smooth ...little bits of peas don't bother me.
    But I will try your recipe. Thanks for posting the link.

Make my own tomato soup, using boxed stock (beef, chicken, or vegetable,) pureed or crushed tomatoes (canned,) onions chopped, and garlic and sauteed in butter. Sautee garlic and onions first, add rest of ingredients, and cook for a while. Use immersion blender to reduce. Make potato soup, using sauteed chopped onions fresh garlic, bouilon cubes, Velevta type cheese, shredded potatoes, Cajun spice, and parsley flakes. FYI, I buy Cajun spice at Big Lots stores. Make Brunswich Stew using vinegar based pork BBQ, boiled and shredded chicken, water from boiling chicken, diced tomatoes, baby Lima beans, green beans, canned corn, diced potatoes and carrots. Sometimes add Liquid Smoke to recipe to give it that "cooked in a wash pot over open fire flavor," just depends upon how BBQ was cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Make my own tomato soup, using boxed stock (beef, chicken, or vegetable,) pureed or crushed tomatoes (canned,) onions chopped, and garlic and sauteed in butter. Sautee garlic and onions first, add rest of ingredients, and cook for a while. Use immersion blender to reduce. Make potato soup, using sauteed chopped onions fresh garlic, bouilon cubes, Velevta type cheese, shredded potatoes, Cajun spice, and parsley flakes. FYI, I buy Cajun spice at Big Lots stores. Make Brunswich Stew using vinegar based pork BBQ, boiled and shredded chicken, water from boiling chicken, diced tomatoes, baby Lima beans, green beans, canned corn, diced potatoes and carrots. Sometimes add Liquid Smoke to recipe to give it that "cooked in a wash pot over open fire flavor," just depends upon how BBQ was cooked.
    Those sound great... I will try them.

Except for the tomato soup, which is already verrrry close to one I make.
    I dice up a couple of celery stalks and saute with the rest.

One thing I read about using tomatoes for a sauce soup etc. if using canned tomatoes (not needed for fresh, unless they don't taste very tomato-y, like green house tomatoes out of season)
    While cooking, towards the end of the cook time, add a splash of white wine or lemon, or vinegar: i.e. a tablespoon or two of anything that is acidic.
    It "brightens" the tomato taste. I've read this too many places to doubt it, and I do it for my tomato soup.