Thread: island stools

Blog Entries
    Very Elegant! I am curious about your technique for the clever leg to seat joint.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Beautiful design and joinery!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice, clean, elegant, and well executed - good job, Mark! I agree with Maurice and Jim on the joinery.

How did you strengthen the bottom stretcher? Seems like those joints wouldn't be very strong or hold up if someone put much weight on them.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I really like the wood grain in the seats.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Very Elegant! I am curious about your technique for the clever leg to seat joint.
    For leg/seat joinery, start with the seat blank before it has been cut to final shape. Cut a flat reference edge where each leg goes. Then cut a rectangular slot into each leg position. The width of the slot is the the distance between the two tenons (see 4th photo). I cut these slots with a dado. Next, use a 1 1/2" diameter slotting and rabbeting bit with plunge router to cut down from top and up from bottom registering off the slot, leaving the tenon thickness in the middle. Now thickness the leg stock to fit the width of the rabbeted part of the seat. Next cut out the leg blank leaving a flat reference surface on the inside top of the leg. Cut the slots into the 3 inside surfaces of the leg so that the slot thickness equals the tenon thickness and the slot is located down form the leg top far enough for the leg to slightly protrude for top of seat. Finally, use a 3/4" round-over bit to radius the 2 inside corners of the leg. This completes the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    How did you strengthen the bottom stretcher? Seems like those joints wouldn't be very strong or hold up if someone put much weight on them.
    The three pieces that make up the stretcher are strengthened by an internal spline.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. Great explanation on the Maloof-ish joint. If you look at some of Sam’s larger pedestal tables, he also used straps and splines to strengthen areas. I am afraid to let my wife see this. I owe her some stools and yours look a bit beyond my skills.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow Mark - outstanding work. As others have said, the joinery is first rate - clean, precise and elegant. Love the fact that there isn't a straight cut anywhere.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Simply incredibly beautiful and intriguing joinery! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's beautiful work!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That goes beyond woodworking and into the realm of art woodworking. Well done!

David’s comment was my first thought as well, mostly end grain joints in the triangle, I guessed spline!

End result is lovely.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!