Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Guard for Table saw

Reasonable options Greg, but you missed the option I'm going to try. I'm mounting the post for the support near the back left corner with the top of the fixed post below the table top, the upper part of the post can be rotated horizontally out of the way by loosening one bolt or completely removed by removing the bolt. Here's some progress pictures, next step is connecting the pipe to the post. overarm guard support 2.jpgoverarm guard 1.jpg

I'm way overdue to update this thread with the finished (for now) guard. Finished it about two months ago so I've had time to decide what works and what needs improvement. It does an excellent job as both an overarm guard and overarm dust collection. It can be swung right out of the way by loosening one knob and removing the other or completely removed by removing both knobs in under a minute. When it is removed there is nothing above the table top to interfere with using the router table. What I don't like and will likely change is the horizontal pipe supporting the guard is too low and gets in the way meaning I have to swing it out of the way too often.

ts4.jpg ts5.jpgts6.jpgts7.jpg

There are some European options that are built to very high standards.

https://www.scosarg.com/suva-s91-nar...complete-59632

B

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    There are some European options that are built to very high standards.

https://www.scosarg.com/suva-s91-nar...complete-59632

B
    For $1500+ they had better be built to stratospherically high standards.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Grizzly sells a floor mounted one. Might be worth a look.

Having planned on building one for the last few years, I was kinda hoping someone else would do the hard work,
    but I haven't seen anyone aim to build something very similar to any design what's out there...

So I've recently been trying to glean as much as I can regarding various overhead floating guards,
    and was kinda sold on the Harvey s12, until I researched some more, hmm?...

Across the Atlantic, we have true riving knives which also feature a mountable crown guard.
    The local straw grasper on the UK forum mentioned if kickback were to occur, then most of these guards would lift, and thus give little protection.
    but just to entertain that thought for a bit, he gave links to the SUVA floating guard, on the Scott&Sargeant website.
    (download the brochure freely to see it in as much detail as you likely will find on the web)

What I've been pondering is, whether this is possible to lift the stock freely during such an occurrence with the SUVA design,
    as to me it looks like it would take quite a bit of force to do, since it's got a big dumper truck lever on it, I'm guessing not.

Thinking about the ergonomics of the big lever made me think again at the Harvey, or other,
    and I like the fact you're not having to fight something what might be in close proximity to the blade, yes I know we shouldn't do that,
    but in an unforeseen circumstance, should it happen, I was thinking the Harvey looked smoother than the Excalibur style.

Even with the smooth action of the gas strut, it appears still more awkward to position something compared to the lever of the SUVA,
    but this is all armchair speculation on my part, as I've not used one before.
    Here is some piccies of the Harvey as seen on hooked on wood.

Seems to me a bit more awkard to use your right hand for the job
    Screenshot-2023-7-24 Axminster Trade Harvey S-12 review.jpg

And the SUVA
    suva1.jpg9778f-16940e-small.jpgSUVA.jpg

Here is a video cut to the Altendorf crown guard being set for a cut, which looks a wee bit of a fight to me if I'm being honest
    https://youtu.be/6LXQcz613U4?t=326

Would love to know more about the SUVA guard, but it seems they don't do advertising?

Has the lever a cam lock, or detent system?
    I've been trying find the answer to that since I saw the thing.

Cheers
    Tom

I dont love the sawstop 4" one I have. I actually posted it for sale. Its too large and not functional enough. The dust that accumulates without it is not that much worse than with it. It picks up about 50 % for me. I still have to clean up. But for that 50% I lose clear space above the tablesaw, it blocks my view of the blade and with anything narrow that means I have to get my hands squished between it and the fence or worse, I also dont always get the best contact between the piece and the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    If I ever decide to implement one, that's actually the one I will likely buy. It's the right size and the right color (white) to fit into my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,
    I used the Suva guard on my restored T17. It’s a great overhead guard and picks up sawdust almost 100%. That is my motivation for these more than safety. Two downsides, I had to have my own frame work for it fabricated which made it expense and the mounting requires a 25 mm round stock bar. This was welded on to the support arm. They don’t sell the mounting setup shown in the advertisement.

When figuring this out I looked at the Felder overhead guard and also the one Panhans germany sells. The Felder one is nice but would have required much modification to fit my saw. The Panhans one was very expensive with shipping. The Grizzly one is the least expensive but after looking at one I wanted better. I did not know about the Harvey guard at the time but would have gone with that. They are nice, I checked one out at the Vegas show and they are well engineered. Only downside for that one is it’s geared for 10 or 12” blades. I sometimes run 14 and 18” blades in the T17.
    9E65CD9E-0DED-4E17-9948-2CF4ACC1D86D.jpg
    B105ECF1-0226-4776-A1E2-9F11FCF35294.jpg
    08EB74EC-F0AE-4A63-9ABB-A7112BC37D9D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Don't really have the room for a floor mounted one plus the saw is on casters so if it moves I want the guard support to move with it. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Tom,
    I used the Suva guard on my restored T17. It’s a great overhead guard and picks up sawdust almost 100%. That is my motivation for these more than safety. Two downsides, I had to have my own frame work for it fabricated which made it expense and the mounting requires a 25 mm round stock bar. This was welded on to the support arm. They don’t sell the mounting setup shown in the advertisement.

When figuring this out I looked at the Felder overhead guard and also the one Panhans germany sells. The Felder one is nice but would have required much modification to fit my saw. The Panhans one was very expensive with shipping. The Grizzly one is the least expensive but after looking at one I wanted better. I did not know about the Harvey guard at the time but would have gone with that. They are nice, I checked one out at the Vegas show and they are well engineered. Only downside for that one is it’s geared for 10 or 12” blades. I sometimes run 14 and 18” blades in the T17.
    9E65CD9E-0DED-4E17-9948-2CF4ACC1D86D.jpg
    B105ECF1-0226-4776-A1E2-9F11FCF35294.jpg
    08EB74EC-F0AE-4A63-9ABB-A7112BC37D9D.jpg
    How wonderful that someone has one, it's almost like they're tryin to keep them a secret!
    I'd certainly love to know more about these, as in can the unit be lifted up with possible kickback,
    or if there is some sort of system to stop this.

Apologies if your pictures explains what I'm asking,
    but to my eyes, it appears like some sort of cam system which somewhat locks it in place?

Going to try replicating it somewhat, as it seems the best design to me,
    Interesting to know your thoughts on the Harvey system, as I would'a thought the lever on the SUVA would be very comfortable to use,
    especially as you seemingly wouldn't have to cross your arms,
    but whatta I know, I've never used one...

Perhaps you would prefer to have a long board held with the left hand to brace the stock against the fence,
    on your fairly traditional Martin machine...
    Compared to holding it otherwise, with perhaps hip involvement when adjusting it before starting the machine up?

No bothers with the mounting, as I'll be making me own adjustable boom for fun.
    Nearly stuck from doing other work on the machine, (bar remaking a fitting cabinet for the VFD)
    as awaiting until I can get me some hefty 100x60 box iron.
    Some more of that salvaged box iron will be used for an outfeed also, which will also likely be mounted to the add on, once I can afford it.
    Screenshot-2023-7-26 LunaPic com Photo Editor Drawing Tool tool (1).jpg

SAM_8320.jpgSAM_8321.jpg
    P.S Found you elsewhere, quite the arsenal of cast iron you have!
    Dang google is getting worse, how did I not find this thread before.

Was thinking of doing the exact same thing with your telescopic boom, lol.
    Cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 08-09-2023 at 7:02 PM.

Tom,
    The guard is under spring tension and moves with little effort. It stays where you set it but would lift up with a kick back. These will not prevent kickback. I usually set mine slightly higher than the stock. You can set them lower than the stock and they will ride up as the workpiece goes through. Suva is cutting edge with safety devices but this is an old design of theirs. The newer Martin, Felder, Altendorf, SCM etc have more convenient overhead guards. Google the Panhans safety catalog they have nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I'm way overdue to update this thread with the finished (for now) guard. Finished it about two months ago so I've had time to decide what works and what needs improvement. It does an excellent job as both an overarm guard and overarm dust collection. It can be swung right out of the way by loosening one knob and removing the other or completely removed by removing both knobs in under a minute. When it is removed there is nothing above the table top to interfere with using the router table. What I don't like and will likely change is the horizontal pipe supporting the guard is too low and gets in the way meaning I have to swing it out of the way too often.

ts4.jpg ts5.jpgts6.jpgts7.jpg
    I built mine using the exact same dust shroud plans but my extension arm is different. Overall I like the design but I've found that when ripping thin strips it gets in the way. Also, it's so thin that if there is a little deflection in the arm, it's easy to push the dust shroud into the blade. DAMHIK. If and when I remake one, it will be of a different design.

Thanks Joe
    I was thinking the lever must've had something, as I've seen one before (which I can't find since) which had a rather tough to use and loudly clacking detent system,
    without a lever I might add. (I'll try finding this later again)
    I was thinking it might be designed like a socket wrench

Once again, very revealing to hear your comment about the system not designed for kickback elimination, in the sense of not wanting the guard to lift up
    that is...for someone not having a paddle switch, and having to get close to the line of fire.

I was thinking there might have been some adjustment of the spring tension, and to match, some belliville/domed washers to make adjustments more rigid,
    or smoother, or in-between Goldilocks setting, the impression I'm getting is that's the done thing.

I must delve further into those suggestions you've mentioned, as it appears you rate them better than what you have,
    Unsure if by convenience, you mean mounting options, that be for others sake,
    or if you're meaning performance thereafter, which I guess you are.

I don't see much missing from the SUVA, apart from those wheels.
    If so, then thanks for your thoughts on that, I've asked that question elsewhere more than once, and got nuffin.

Cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 08-10-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    I built mine using the exact same dust shroud plans but my extension arm is different. Overall I like the design but I've found that when ripping thin strips it gets in the way. Also, it's so thin that if there is a little deflection in the arm, it's easy to push the dust shroud into the blade. DAMHIK. If and when I remake one, it will be of a different design.
    How is your extension arm different? My extension arm is very stiff partly because I filled the 1 1/2" PVC pipe with solid hardwood so the pipe itself doesn't deflect and I don't think the dust shroud could come in contact with the blade. I did add spacers to increase the width of the shroud to about 1 1/2" wide outside as I was concerned about that. The anchor end of the extension arm is secured by two 3/8" threaded rods and when they are snugged down the guard can only be deflected about 1/8" with considerable force. When you say different design do you mean the shroud design or extension arm design? I don't think there is a design out there that doesn't get in the way when cutting thin strips, at least not one I've seen.