Thread: Kitchen Faucet Replacement

Kitchen Faucet Replacement

Hoping there are some plumbing experts out there that can give me some advice. I'm thinking of replacing my Moen kitchen faucet soon. I expected there to be a large nut under the faucet holding it tight to the counter. I see this horseshoe type of thing there and am not sure how it is secured to the counter.I thought the small black circle was an allen but it doesn't seem to be. The rusty hole to the left of it I'm not sure what it is and the rusty one to the left of it is possibly for a flat screwdriver? This faucet is probably 20+ years old and if I can't get it out I may have to pull the double sink out which I really don't want to do. Anyone ever had any experience with this typy of thing?

Sink1.jpg Sink2.jpg

See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cFdTTBRPk

I think your installation omits the black spacer shown in the video which is probably only used when the faucet is mounted directly to the sink and not through the counter.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    You first have to remove the hose and hose clip. Once that is off you can use a deep socket to remove the nut holding the U-shaped clip
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you're replacing it with a new version of the same faucet, look at the new one in the box and it will be obvious. New ones come with risers made onto the faucet that go all the way to the cutoff valve not requiring new or to use the old risers. The built on risers is one thing I know of that is better than it used to be.

Thanks Paul and Lee ..... I haven't been back under to look again but this looks like it's exactly what I need to do..thanks again

Tom... most traditional faucets I've been looking at have one big nut holding them in .The pull out type have a somewhat similar system as mine but easier to see with 3 small bolts holding it in. I'm going to go with a pull out Moen which just has one big nut holding it in. Thanks for the help..

That faucet came with a deep socket to fit. Made of red or black plastic. About 6" long. The longer then better. At least a bit longer then the sink is deep
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-118305-I...65&sr=8-2&th=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-15-2023 at 3:17 PM.

No idea if that will be metric or english size socket you need. Harbor fright often has a sale on deep impact sockets.
    I do not think the plumber deep socket set will be long enough to get up there since there is no way to use an extension.
    Bill D.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/shower...SABEgKZLvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Thanks Paul and Lee ..... I haven't been back under to look again but this looks like it's exactly what I need to do..thanks again

Tom... most traditional faucets I've been looking at have one big nut holding them in .The pull out type have a somewhat similar system as mine but easier to see with 3 small bolts holding it in. I'm going to go with a pull out Moen which just has one big nut holding it in. Thanks for the help..
    If I understand you correctly you are going with the single faucet with pull out sprayer. I was advised by others to look for the faucets that use a magnet to retain them in the spout when not using the sprayer. They said the friction type quit holding securely after being in use for a while. Then they are always hanging out and inch or so and a nuisance. Ours is 4 years old and stays put without issue. I remember going and looking at the magnetic style and picking from those models.

Thanks Bill.... I'll probably just use a 5/8 deep spark plug socket with a 10" extension that I have...

Thanks Ronald...something to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Thanks Bill.... I'll probably just use a 5/8 deep spark plug socket with a 10" extension that I have...

Thanks Ronald...something to consider...
    Many spark plug sockets come with a hex at the top, so you can add another onto first to get desired depth, as long as center threaded rod isn't bigger than 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Many spark plug sockets come with a hex at the top, so you can add another onto first to get desired depth, as long as center threaded rod isn't bigger than 1/2".
    I knew about the hex, now that you mention it, I never thought why, thanks.
    Bill D