Thread: i-Socket Autoswitch Workshop Tool and Vacuum Switch

i-Socket Autoswitch Workshop Tool and Vacuum Switch

I just ran across these and was wondering if anyone has one and how well it works? As they seem to only have so-so reviews. The concept is the same as a lot of the high-end vacs have, but everyone does not have those kind of vacs. I see there are any other brands out there.
    Who is using these kind of systems and has experience with them and what brands are you using or would recommend?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...bQQ0Qx6BAgJEAE
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have an iVac brand switch and LOVE it. I have it connected to my miter saw and it works wonderfully. All my other tools are connected to my cyclone and if I just have a quick cut, oftentimes I won't fire up the cyclone. With the iVac, it's automatic. The vacuum runs for several seconds after the saw is off to clear the hose. Go for it.

+1
    I have 2 or 3, they're great for using a shop-vac on tools as Ken said

I've been using an older model of the i-socket device (only one controlled outlet) for many years and it is very reliable. I modified one of them to allow me to switch on the controlled device (the vacuum) separately from the device control so that I could turn on the vacuum manually. I made a post for that sometime in the past.

Amazon version is $20 less. And it's green. Guess my wife's favortie color.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-END...SABEgLHUPD_BwE

I have a couple of the i-vacs and they work fine. I've used them for a bunch of years with no problems.

I also have an older i-socket and it has worked fine, also. But that older i-socket didn't have a way to manually turn the vac on. The i-vac included that feature. I think the modern i-sockets are like the i-vac now and have that switch.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-15-2023 at 5:51 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Problem I see is over loading the socket. saw maybe 10-15 amps, same for vac. Not going to work on a 20 amp circuit.
    BilLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Problem I see is over loading the socket. saw maybe 10-15 amps, same for vac. Not going to work on a 20 amp circuit.
    BilLD
    I haven't had any problem with overloads in my applications. One application is to turn on a Rigid shop vac when I turn on my sander. The other is to turn on a shop vac when I turn on my 10 inch sliding miter saw. I never measured the amperage but I'm sure the total is under 20 amps (or I would have popped the breaker).

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-16-2023 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    BilLD
    Valid point but they did think of it.
    https://www.ivacswitch.com/ivac-switch/
    There is a delay when turning on, so both tool and vac aren't drawing max amperage at the same time.

I've had 3 of them , with one failure . I overloaded it w/ 1HP disc sander - totally my fault .

Thanks for the info and the brands you are using.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I ran 2 in my previous shop. Used them near-daily for about 17 years without failure. They still worked when I packed them for the new shop but I went a remote fob. They feel a little cheap but proved to be pretty resilient.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler