Thread: Dewalt 735 planer cutterhead removal - possible?

Dewalt 735 planer cutterhead removal - possible?

The blade bolts on my Dewalt 735 are frozen and I tried everything to remove them, finally resorting to an impact driver - big mistake. It did get two bolts out, but then stripped the hex holes in the next two. Now I need to remove the cutter head to either replace it or try to get the stripped bolts out. Does anyone know if the cutter head can be removed without removing the blades?

I had this problem. I used a Dremel to cut a slot on the screws so I could use a flathead screwdriver. One I actually had to tap with a cold chisel/hammer to get it started. Other options exist, like having someone weld a bolt to the screw.

Thanks, but it would be easier to work on it if the cutter head was removed. Do you know if the head can be removed without first removing the blades? It looks like they might have to come out which is going to mean a lot of grinding and cutting while installed.

I have had this problem. I drilled out the head of the bolts until the head of the bolt fell off. I used either a 3/16 or 1/4 drill bit. Replace the bolts with the Torx head ones from Dewalt. Or you can grind the head of the bolt off. It is very easy to drill the bolts with the head in the planer.

I do not like hitting the head with a hammer or cold chisel as it can damage the head or bearings.

The question is: can the head be removed without first removing the blades.

As I recall from replacing the original cutterhead with the Shelix cutterhead on my DW735, I did have to remove the straight blades.

Unfortunately, the blades have to be removed to remove the cutterhead. Same thing applies if upgrading to a OEM sized Shelix head. You have to remove all 40 cutters.

How about try one of the screw extractor/remover bits with your drill. I’ve had good success with them over the years. I think my set is SpeedOut brand and includes 3 or 4 different bits. Beyond that, you could always attempt to drill them out carefully.

FWIW, I prefer left hand twist bits for this. You might get lucky and they back the bolt out while spinning, and if not..they drill out like a right hand twist.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I do not believe it will come out with the blades on it.

There are many threads and videos on this problem. I do not remember any if them saying to take the head out.

The bolts are very accessible without taking the head out. I have had this problem and fixed it with the head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Couture View Post
    The question is: can the head be removed without first removing the blades.
    A weird response when people are trying to help you solve a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Not really, in my opinion. Granted solutions were being offered but the OP's question was not being answered, at least directly. With the answers being posted one could surmise that the knives must be removed prior to the head being removed but the original question was not being directly answered.

Byrd's instructions for installing a Shelix on a DW735 indicate removing the knives as the 3rd or 4th step in removing the original head. No mention of necessity, but the installation of the new head with the original diameter as the OEM requires removal of the carbide cutters for clearance, on the smaller diameter Byrd head, cutter removal is an optional step. That indicates to me that the knives must be removed to remove the cutter head.
    Honestly, even if half or more of the screws have to be drilled out to remove the blades, it will be much quicker and easier lock the head and do that in the planer anyway. Had to do a few in an old DW733 i had before the 735, and once the head is gone the threaded post backed out easily.

(side note--i installed the smaller Byrd before they came out with the larger diameter, with cutters attached--and bled a LOT. Didn't know i'd cut my fingers until i tried to figure out what the red stuff was.)

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Not a response, a rephrased question from the original poster.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!