Thread: I知 seeking advice on best sizes for slabs and boards.

I知 seeking advice on best sizes for slabs and boards.

I was lucky enough to acquire several hundred board feet of slabs from a small sawmill. But It痴 taking up too much space in my shop. So, I知 planning to sell at least half the wood. Should I sell whole slabs or is it worth milling to various dimensions? What about cutting off the ends that are cracked? I have someone nearby that will resaw at $90/hr and I have shop equipment (and time) to finish the milling.

Ten of the slabs are black walnut ranging from 18 to 24 inches wide, 10 to 12 feet long and 13/4 thick. All are straight and fairly clean. They致e been air dried for at least 3 ス years with a current moisture reading of 6%. The only issue is end checking. Most have one significant crack running several inches. And others with smaller cracks.

Looking forward to your opinions.

I would keep as much of the quarter sawn or any material with unique figuring as possible. I won't bother to mill the material as you can't guess what dimensions a buyer may need. You could say milling available for additional cost and negotiate from there.

I like to trim the ends- easier to read the grain, no point in handling and storing wood that will not be used, & especially if the planks will be stored standing up. Also partly surface one or two to show color & figure.

My advice is to sell them as is. Cracks, defects, etc., are all desireable features for many folks. Black walnut is like crack for people making live edge tables, etc. You should be able to get someplace in the neighborhood of $10/bf for them, more in the affluent areas, and more if the grain is really stunning or unique. Don't cut them!

John

Are you sure you mean "slabs"? Slabs are the thin piece removed from the log during the first cut from each side. They mostly contain bark. You won't be getting much wood, if any, from trying to mill them. They are best cut to length with a chain saw and fed into the wood stove or fire place. Most mills give them away, so I hope you didn't pay much for them.

Charley

Thanks for the great advice. I will keep the slabs whole and sand one side. Hopefully I'll get my supermax 25-50 soon. That should make the job a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Are you sure you mean "slabs"? Slabs are the thin piece removed from the log during the first cut from each side. They mostly contain bark. You won't be getting much wood, if any, from trying to mill them. They are best cut to length with a chain saw and fed into the wood stove or fire place. Most mills give them away, so I hope you didn't pay much for them.

Charley
    There are two meanings for the word slab. One is the offcuts you described, but the other meaning is full width "slabs" with sawcut faces and bark only on the edges.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. Smith View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. I will keep the slabs whole and sand one side. Hopefully I'll get my supermax 25-50 soon. That should make the job a little easier.
    If you want to sell them, don't bother sanding them, definitely not through your drum sander. It's not made for that duty. You'll kill your back and won't get any more money for them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post

Charley
    There are many definitions for the word slab. Your definition is pretty much confined to use in the sawmilling world. Everyone else is using the word for it's original meaning.

Larger uncut slabs will fetch higher prices, but be harder to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. Smith View Post
    I agree with others - leave them 100% as is. Most slab-buyers know what they are getting and if you sand them, the buyer is most likely going to flatten them with wide planer, by hand or on a flattening sled, which will just zip off a layer of sanded wood.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Yeah, definitely dont cut them up. That would be the equivalent of someone 'cleaning' the antique before selling. I would call around to some of the specialty lumber suppliers local to you. I bet they are getting more than $10/bdft for large live edge slabs of walnut in Colorado. That is what i paid for plain jane 10' 8/4 slabs for my sister's dining room table build 2 years ago, and we are tripping over hardwood lumber in PA. 12/4+ is more difficult and slower to dry, and always more expensive. Good luck with the sale and congrats on pocketing $5-8,000.