Thread: Hitachi VFD sizing

Blog Entries

Hitachi VFD sizing

Prognosis is that the single phase motor on my saw is dead so I知 replacing it with a 3ph motor. The replacement 1ph metric motors are fairly expensive in this size range.

Motor I found is 240v 3ph 4kw. Draws 13amps.

I知 looking at a hitachi inverter since I have installed a couple of them so far.

The inverter I知 looking at is WJ200-037LF

https://www.hitachi-iesa.com/sites/d...0)SM-E265W.pdf

My math suggests I need an inverter capable of 22.5amps on single phase input.

Thank you!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Your math is good but add say 10% for less then 100% efficiency. Of course you can always limit it to under the motor nameplate hp.
    If you need braking you probably should add a resister to soak up the back EMF and not fry the VFD buss. A spinning bandsaw has a lot of momentum.
    People add an electric oven or water heater element as a cheap brake resister.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-14-2023 at 4:25 PM.

MY 10% guess is a total guess. you do some research and let us know a better answer.

Blog Entries
    Spoke with Hitachi and they recommended the WJ200-075. Seems overkill for this but buying once is cheaper than twice.

On the tablesaw I used a big resister to slow it to a quick stop. For this I知 going to program it to free wheel and I値l use the foot pedal to stop it.

To me that factory switch seems funky. Feel free to reuse it or repalce it with something normal. Not bad to have at least an off switch on both ends.
    Since I added a big mushroom stop switch on my TS I almost never turn it off other then with my knee. A lighted switch would be nice. A foot off switch on a cord could be nice or it would be a trip hazard.
    BillD

Blog Entries
    That switch is going and being replaced by typical push button switches.

I know this is late (I was on travel when you posted). The 3-phase 4KW motor is basically a 5.5HP motor. The WJ200-037LF won't work because it's rated for 5HP output when using 3-phase input (you only have 240V single phase as a power source). You can certainly hook up single phase to a 3-phase VFD, but you will only be using 2 of the 3 input diodes for power generation. This means the 037LF will only be able to power a 2.5-3HP motor at that point.

They are recommending the larger WJ200-075 so that the single phase input will still be able to generate enough power to run a 5.5 HP motor.

There are other VFDs that are specifically engineered for single phase input. This one is a somewhat less expensive model compared to the Hitachi 075HF:

https://www.ato.com/7-5hp-single-pha...hree-phase-vfd

I use the 5HP ATO for running my Clearvue 3-phase Baldor motor and it does perfectly fine.