Thread: Attaching Box to table legs

Attaching Box to table legs

Hi all, I am trying to figure out the best way to attach these legs. I don't currently have an apron designed in. I think the shelf should add enough stability for the legs. The only thing I can think of is mortise and tenon.

Table.jpg

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    You might think about a redesign for the upper part of the table . The picture here is a hall table where the aprons are mortised into the the upper part of the legs.
    calabrese55T table.jpg

OP says no aprons: a box on four legs. I have thought about a similar project and can only think of using mechanical connections. Slab tables with those metal hairpin legs are just screwed directly to the top.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Sounds like you have a box and want to make it into a table. An apron or similar bracing is needed. You could make an apron at the shelf height but mortising it into the legs is tricky due to interference of the tenons. An easy way to add an apron is to make the OD of the legs 2" smaller than the box. Then add a 2 1/2" x 1/2" apron on the outside of the legs. Then add stretchers with an optional shelf on them.

Stub tenons, or just glue the legs on then add screw from the inside through the leg into the box.