Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MM20/SP500 bandsaw, motor dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I checked the switch and it was showing 120v at both legs on the output. Is this a faulty testing method?
    In short, yes. You need to test for 240 volts between the two legs and let us know the results.

Blog Entries
    I’ll test that later tonight.

The link was describing problems with an AEG starter common to Minimax, but sounds like you have something else.

Check that you have 240V between the line inputs coming into the top of the contactor.
    Check that you have 240V coming out of the contactor (going into the overload relay).
    Check that you have 240V coming out of the overload relay.
    Capture.jpg

Sounds like you have either a bad contactor or a bad overload relay. While you could troubleshoot it to determine which (and just replace that part), you could also just replace the whole starter.

Blog Entries
    Looking more and more like the switch…

240v coming in, but not going out. Thanks, Dan for setting me straight on this. In the past for 3ph equipment I have simple checked across each terminal at the switch.

I think I’ll go ahead and buy a new switch to try that before I swap any equipment to 3ph.

Brian, if you think about it, this is a situation where a technical corollary of the old "is it plugged in" is at play. In this case, the answer might be, "Yes, but..." 'Hope the switch swap gets you back and running immediately as that's less involved (and less costly) than the motor swap and VFD setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some of the switch gear on MM bandsaws has been problematic. Rather than try to replace my on/off switch with the oem item I bought a standard magnetic starter and surface mounted it to the saw frame. Not as low profile but easy to source.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kevin and Jim! All things to consider.

The 100L frame motor is fairly common in my shop so I don’t mind having a spare 3ph motor and VFD handy.

Bumping this thread, just wondering what the final resolution turned out to be.
    Was it the on/off switch that turned out to be the root cause of the problem?
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-25-2023 at 1:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    It was the switch. I bought an identical factory replacement for now but may still either change the motor starter and switch systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It was the switch. I bought an identical factory replacement for now but may still either change the motor starter and switch systems.
    Thanks for the update Brian. I have the same saw and I'll keep a mental note of this in case I encounter the same issue.

Where is the factory switch located. I see them down low or up high on the vertical arm. is any location better for some operations?
    I am in the process of moving my tablesaw switch forward about 4 inches so I can see it under the table overhang.
    Bill D