Thread: Interesting find in a file cabinet

Interesting find in a file cabinet

Off topic: I have a small 2 drawer size file cabinet. Bought used years ago, no makers name, always seemed heavy. I was moving it around today and took the drawers out to lighten it.
    I found out is has a steel plate in the back wall. Plate is about 11x16 inches and 1/2 inch thick, so about 25 pounds. Looks like matching factory paint job. No way to remove it.
    Why?

It has a key lock. Which came locked and does not do anything. Top two drawers are file card height but no dividers. No extra holes where a lamp or such would be mounted and need ballast. I would expect ballast on the bottom not standing on end.
    It is not a fire proof cabinet. I suppose x-ray shielding but it is barely as wide as the drawer and no extra width.
    Bill D

Is it there to counter balance the weight of the extended drawers?

I think it’s a fire-proof cabinet . They were expensive.

Counterweight so it won’t tip over with both drawers extended. I wish the one my Wife uses had that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Counterweight so it won’t tip over with both drawers extended. I wish the one my Wife uses had that.
    ^Exactly!!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We have the safe that belonged to my Grandfather that weighs a little over2500 pounds. About 2,000 pounds of that is fire clay about 8” thick. The rest is the metal shell. I think any container that’s fireproof has to have some protection more than metal.

Not fireproof. Only the back wall is bulletproof. Sides and front is just single layer of sheet metal like any other cabinet. Makes no sense to have ballast standing up instead of lying flat on the bottom.
    Bill D

It would be more effective at the back than on the bottom since its center of gravity would be farther from the extended drawers.

Gold. It's gold. Ordinary metal plating outside. Solid gold inside. Patently obvious. Not a yard sale item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Gold. It's gold. Ordinary metal plating outside. Solid gold inside. Patently obvious. Not a yard sale item.
    ----------^ This ^
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I am in California so not impossible. Several years ago someones dog dug up a coffee can of gold coins. The people walking the dog found more and had over $30,00 worth of gold coins. Of course that was only the face value.
    Bill D

Ballast. I have put together a few wooden file cabinets that have steel plate in the back.