Thread: Cheap, and Amost Instant Cold Frame

Cheap, and Amost Instant Cold Frame

With spring almost here (next week) it's time to get your transplants ready. A cold frame is an almost necessity. There are hundreds of plans and videos on building a cold frame, fancy to simple. I use one that's simple and CHEAP! From the thrift store, I buy an clear tote (usually the lid is missing) for a couple bucks. Drill some 3/4" holes on sides near bottom, which when used will be the top. Don't drill holes in bottom as in use they will allow rain/snow in. The holes allow for ventilation, and prevent over heating in the sunlight. If you have winds, put a couple of bricks on top of cold frame to prevent wind from tipping it over. Cheap, simple, and almost instant! I use same tote to root cuttings by placing it in the shade. For my cuttings, I use a cheap dishpan from Walmart, with drainage holes drilled in the bottom, and fill it with coarse sand. I get the sand from a creek near our house. Each heavy rain rebuilds the sand bar with more sand.

Blog Entries
    I make little "greenhouses" out of milk jugs:

Milk Jug Greenhouse.jpg

This was a fancy one to allow for deeper soil to root grape vine cuttings.

Most of the time they are made by cutting the bottom of the milk jug off about 1-1/2" from the bottom. A few holes are cut in the bottom for drainage. Each corner is slit so it can be tucked into the bottom. Then the bottom is filled with potting soil, seeds or cuttings inserted, the top is put in place and it is set in water for moisture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not a cold frame, but I have seen people use upside down containers and five-gal buckets, as small compost bins. The material is in contact with the ground, and you just add new stuff to the top. Not the most efficient way, but appeals to my lazy gardening self.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    If one wants to get fancy there is always a cloche:

Cloche.png

I have a few for use in the kitchen for covering things on a cutting board. Often seen in Goodwill and second hand stores for a couple of bucks.

Target shows them new for $8.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If one wants to get fancy there is always a cloche:

Cloche.png

I have a few for use in the kitchen for covering things on a cutting board. Often seen in Goodwill and second hand stores for a couple of bucks.

Target shows them new for $8.

jtk
    The ones I find in thrift stores include a little cutting block for cheese in them

A custodian at my high school had a old van with no back seats. In the spring he always parked it facing north so the back was facing south. He had flats of plants sprouting inside. So much moisture must have rusted stuff inside?
    Bill D