Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Can the dead vote? Non-political

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Perry, not many "death notices" get to the almost non-existent newspapers these days, especially since they cost money to the family to post them. But yes, the paperwork is at the state level.
    The local newspaper still prints a lot of obituaries. Many families choose to publish them on Sunday so the Sunday paper has 8 to 10 pages of obituaries. I am pretty sure there no legal requirement to print an obituary in a newspaper upon death. Now, there are some notices of probate in the legal notices sections of the newspaper, but it can't be required for every estate or there would be many more of them.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 03-20-2023 at 5:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree with Tom's comment here. When my wife passed away, I was flabbergasted at how expensive it was to place an obituary.
    The local newspaper charges $13.45 per line for an obituary for the first day. Any subsequent days get a 50% discount. A line is only 30 to 35 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    but it can't be required for every estate or there would be many more of them.
    I think in PA it is not required, but it shortens the time that people can charge the estate for unpaid bills.

So. I just did my absentee (two weeks early) ballot at my county election board. I asked the question about ballots of the dead. They confirmed that once the ballots are through the reader, there is no way to identify my ballot with me, and therefore no way to negate it if I die in the interim. The state voter database is updated periodically when death certificates are issued by the state health department but that is not instantaneous. I didnt ask them if they open and process the ballots before election day, or if they check the state database before opening.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Some states or counties do not allow mail in ballots to be opened before election day. other sallow them to be opened but not counted. I think some may allow them to be counted before election day but never report the count until polls are closed.
    In the west we hate when they call a national election before our polls are closed. The losing party voters tend to not bother to go in to vote later in the day so the loose more local elections.
    Bill D.

PS: Alaska is the easternmost state so some of their polls should close before the east coast polls even open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Some states or counties do not allow mail in ballots to be opened before election day. other sallow them to be opened but not counted. I think some may allow them to be counted before election day but never report the count until polls are closed.
    In the west we hate when they call a national election before our polls are closed. The losing party voters tend to not bother to go in to vote later in the day so the loose more local elections.
    Bill D.

PS: Alaska is the easternmost state so some of their polls should close before the east coast polls even open.
    Easternmost, northernmost and westernmost
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Counting early/mail-in ballots before the close of election day is called "pre-canvassing". And yes, it's not permitted in a number of states while is normal for others. Pennsylvania does not permit pre-canvasing which is why there is a longer delay with getting the actual, final results. It would be nice to change that, especially given the increasing volume of folks (regardless of party) who prefer to use mail-in/drop-off ballots rather than wait in lines, some having to take off from work to do so, but there are certainly mixed feelings about that and there is an actual, real political battle with some interesting twists around the subject in the state. But we cannot go into that here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Easternmost, northernmost and westernmost
    While a small part of Alaska lies to the west of the 180 degree meridian, meaning that small part lies in the eastern longitudes, all of Alaska lies to the east of the International Date Line, which means from a date and time point of view, it's way after the East Coast.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Only because they bent the date line due to political pressure. I understand the soviet union ran on Moscow time. All government offices opened and closed at the same moment across the entire 11 time zones.
    No idea if russia still does this or not.
    Bill D.

The International Date Line meanders around quite a bit. There are some islands in the Pacific which are east of the 180-degree longitude and are west of the International Date Line. But that's because they wanted to be there.

Having all of Alaska being on the same date seems more logical than political.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-24-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here in PA, it is the normal prectice to run a notice in the paper, but it is not required. In fact I have not done it with any of the estates, I handled. The statute of limitations remains the same. If the deceased owed money, they or the estate still gad to be sued on time. So by holding estates more than 4 years, the estate didn't have t worry about paying debts for which suit was not filed. I had an estate that had multiple possible claims, mostly questionable, and limited assets. Settled the estate after 4 years and none of the claimants ever filed suit although several wrote letters saying they had claims.. The daughter got the money, lots of attorney's fees and expenses saved for the estate. By just ignoring the claimants.

My understanding is that while the vote was lawful at the time it was cast, if the voter passes away before the close of election day polls, their ballot is no longer valid and isn't supposed to be counted.
    Jim, how would their ballot be identified?

Where I live if I vote by mail my ballot is inside an unmarked envelope inside my marked envelope.

As soon as if arrives at the processing location, my marked ballot envelope is recorded as arriving, and being valid.

Then it is opened and my unmarked ballot envelop is placed in the pile for opening on election day.

There’s no way for them to determine which ballot is mine……Regards, Rod

Like I said previously, the ballots have a barcode on them and the system prevents someone from voting twice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like I said previously, the ballots have a barcode on them and the system prevents someone from voting twice.
    That's true only until they open the envelopes and process the ballots. Once the ballot is separated from the envelope, there better be no way to tie the ballot to an individual.

Our whole voting system is based on secret ballots. If anyone could know how a person voted, there would be too many opportunities for mischief.

If you believe your ballot is not secret, you should contact your local officials and ask about how ballots are handled and whether the ballots are secret.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-28-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    As soon as if arrives at the processing location, my marked ballot envelope is recorded as arriving, and being valid.

Then it is opened and my unmarked ballot envelop is placed in the pile for opening on election day.
    That's true only until they open the envelopes and process the ballots. Once the ballot is separated from the envelope, there better be no way to tie the ballot to an individual.
    Things are done differently in different states and, in Rod's case, provinces.

In some places the ballots are left inside the signature envelopes, where the bar code most likely is located, until they are verified and maybe even until election day.

In other places the ballot inside the privacy envelope is removed from the signature envelope and as soon as the signature is verified. Unverified envelopes are likely held incase the voter notices, at least in my state, on the local election board that their ballot has not been returned.

I can not imagine any fair voting system that can trace a ballot to the voter.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)