Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: contact cement flammability?

contact cement flammability?

Hello
    Getting ready to put some laminate on MDF for a router table top build.
    Decided to read the contact cement can and at the very top in bold it shows not to use next to gas furnace or water heater or to turn off gas valves / extinguish flames.

Wouldn't you know it, my shop just so happens to be my garage, which houses both my gas furnace and gas water heater.

So question is, is there really concern for combustion if I do my 30"x24" router table?

I don't really have another area to do this besides in the garage. The wife sure won't appreciate if I turn off the heat or water for a few hours either.

Don't want to blow up my garage, but at the same time I know these warning labels can be a tad over cautious.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Michael

Open the door. Your lungs and brain cells will appreciate it too.
    BillL

This warning label is not overly cautious. The fumes are explosive and heavier than air so they accumulate near the floor where pilot lights are. You need to respect the warning.

Having said that, if you do understand the issue, and provide ventilation to the outside, you would be OK with a project of this size. But it is definitely not something to be casual about.

You must ventilate to the outside.

Dave / Larry
    Thanks.

How long would you leave the door open for ventilation? Like just whole applying, 3-4 hrs afterwards,etc?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Dave / Larry
    Thanks.

How long would you leave the door open for ventilation? Like just whole applying, 3-4 hrs afterwards,etc?
    I find that with the garage open that most of the residual odor is gone within an hour. Even with the garage open, I still use a respirator though like I do with finishes.

You'll probably find out how well your FV sensor on the water heater is working - if so equipped.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

If you have a sealed combustion furnace, it might be a little more safe. Though does not avoid the need for adequate ventilation for other reasons. DAP also makes a "nonflammable" version: https://www.dap.com/products-project...dwood-nonflam/

I've used it and haven't seen any differences for large laminations like that.

Patrick, I have a gallon of that collecting dust. Terrible product imho, doesn't adhere anywhere near a well as the red can, takes extra coats of adhesive to get the right amount of tackiness and pulls off way too easy compared.

Also, a note on leaving the garage door open, what temps are you working around? Laminate cement does not like the cold.

Those same fumes that bring the risk for fire/explosion are also a big risk for breathing...so yea...open the big door have a fan blowing outward (to the side so replacement air comes in on the other side of the door) and wear PPE. That protects your home, your family/pets and yourself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Patrick, I have a gallon of that collecting dust. Terrible product imho, doesn't adhere anywhere near a well as the red can, takes extra coats of adhesive to get the right amount of tackiness and pulls off way too easy compared.

Also, a note on leaving the garage door open, what temps are you working around? Laminate cement does not like the cold.
    Hi John
    Here in the PNW it hasn't been real warm. Maybe usually 40s-60s this time year.

Wait until it's a warmer day and apply mid day. 40's is way too cold, 60's is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post

No argument that it is more finnicky. I followed the instructions to the letter (including pre-warming materials/adhesive in the house for a day), then kept the garage warm with an electric heater while it dried. Definitely took longer to dry, and required more coats on MDF. But I haven't had an issue with the few worktops for which I've used it.

That being said in the summer I still prefer the high VOC stuff and move it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Templeton View Post
    I find that with the garage open that most of the residual odor is gone within an hour. Even with the garage open, I still use a respirator though like I do with finishes.
    Good to know. Thanks Andrew

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    here are a couple of products that may solve your concerns with solvent based contact cement.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40072106/
    calabrese55

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and I didn't blow up the house. We had a sweltering 60 deg day last Saturday. I opened up the garage and was going to start, but then decided against the garage. I ended up doing the laminating on the tailgate of my truck. Which was a little space constrained but worked.

One thing I didn't know after flush trimming the laminate is, that stuff is sharp sharp. Ended up with a whole string of like paper cuts across the palms of my hands after handling / flipping the top around.