Oh, back to Woodriver planes. I am one who HAS to experiment. I blame my dad, who was an engineer. I got a #5 Woodriver plane. As for $5 planes, I have a LN, a Stanley or 2, a Woodriver, and a Bridge City. Oh, a Winchester too.... The woodriver has a wider iron than my LN, so some times I use one, some times the other. Only thing I don't like about the Woodriver is the handle. Rob tilted it a bit more to the front, and that leaves a bump in the handle that makes for a sore spot on the heel of my palm. Other than that, when tuned up, all of them work fairly well. My least favorite is the Bridge City. Rex Kruger did a video about them and it was spot on with my thoughts. The sole needed to be flattened. I don't like the double edged blade. I might be able to figure out how to use the adjustment lever cap, which appears to be similar to the Woodriver block plane. That means I might have to use it some more..... I guess just about any tool can be used, or maybe you can learn to use any tool out there, but some work better than others. You could take either the Woodriver or LN and use it straight out of the box, but it is far better to go through it first.... The Woodriver is a good plane.

robo hippy