Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood River Hand Planes

…Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fross View Post
    Ken, just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoy your YouTube videos. They are very entertaining and I always learn something. Ok, back to the topic at hand…
    Thanks Michael, nice of you to say.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The LN iron 4 is $340. The bronze 4 is $415.
    Off topic, but if I had buying my L-N 4-1/2 over again, I wish I’d gone for the bronze and non-corrugated.

If I wanted their No. 4 today, I’d get the bronze for the heft and the cool factor.

More off topic: I’ll never part with my iron corrugated 4-1/2 because it was set up with the direct help of David Charlesworth himself. He also fashioned a little English walnut block to fit in the space behind the tote, to take the thumb force. Sentimental value.

A bit closer to the topic: I’d go for Lie-Nielsen today if only to celebrate their return to somewhat regular production. We almost lost them. I’ll take them over a low-cost knockoff any day of the week.

Btw, hi John.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 03-16-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Bob, I hope you are doing well!! I have two bronze No 4s, a bronze 3 and a bronze 2. I have owned owned and sold two other bronze 4s as well as three bronze No 1s. Even with small hands the 1s didn’t seem to appeal functionally, but they are such neat little planes!! Needless to say, I like bronze as well.

I stumbled into an iron 4 1/2 and at first didn’t care for it. Even offered to sell it to a creeker looking for one. But, recently I played with it a bit and rather like it. For me, in bronze I think it would be quite heavy. A corrugated sole might help some, but it sure would look neater in bronze!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Hmmm..left The Bronze Age a few thousand years ago...and haven't looked back....and, since Wood River does NOT make theirs in Bronze...moot point.

I did have the #4 a long time ago..right about when Wood River was changing over to the Version 3 models...the one I received was a mis-match between the two versions...and did not work...even with the new parts, it still wasn't much use, except to produce see-through shavings....which does NOT get the work done....only good for showing off.

Stanley No. 4-1/2c, Type 11 is in use in my shop...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Is anyone familiar with these plans? Are they worth the money?
    I have a block plane and #5 Woodriver v3. Both are fine planes. Blades needed flattening but rest was fine. They were worth the money back when I bought them.

At the current prices, I will suggest to pay a little more and get LV planes. LV has better fit and finish. Blades are flat out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bob, I hope you are doing well!! I have two bronze No 4s, a bronze 3 and a bronze 2. I have owned owned and sold two other bronze 4s as well as three bronze No 1s. Even with small hands the 1s didn’t seem to appeal functionally, but they are such neat little planes!! Needless to say, I like bronze as well.

I stumbled into an iron 4 1/2 and at first didn’t care for it. Even offered to sell it to a creeker looking for one. But, recently I played with it a bit and rather like it. For me, in bronze I think it would be quite heavy. A corrugated sole might help some, but it sure would look neater in bronze!
    John, quite well, thank you, and you as well I hope.

Yes, the weight may be why L-N discontinued the bronze 4-1/2(?). My iron 4-1/2 already weighs as much as my Stanley 5-1/2 (although it’s a 1931 and therefore 1/8” narrower than a current 5-1/2 — 2-1/4” vs. 2-3/8”). But still that Lie-Nielsen sole thickness, plus the heavier blade and breaker, add up to a handful. In bronze it would be a Big Boy.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 03-17-2023 at 2:01 AM.

The LN #4 1/2 (I have the Anniversary model) is indeed a large and heavy plane. It does not get a lot of use in my workshop, but it comes into its own when smoothing wide panels. Its high mass helps with keeping it in the cut. I would not want to use it too frequently.

I've replaced the original 50 degree frog with a 45 degree one ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I did not think Lie Nielsen made a 4½ in bronze at any point, other than their 500 Anniversary planes, signed by Tomas?

10. Wood river

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    and why I will never use one.
    I not overly Jingoistic but I do try to support the North American makers whenever i can. Are they more expensive - yes, Are they better - yep, are the Chinese copies good enough?- probably for most people, much of the time. Are Lie Nielsen and Veritas companies North American treasures that we need to support - YES. I totally understand that not everybody can afford them but I feel that we need to do whatever we can to keep these quality companies around. Good point about replacement parts by one of the other posters. A couple of calls to their customer service people over the years has always reinforced my feeling that quality and good service makes up for extra cost.

I don't want this thread to drift into a political discussion, but generally speaking I think the US must wean itself from cheap Chinese imports for a multiplicity of reasons. Each of us is a part of that situation and for my part, I will support LN and Veritas whenever their tools will fit my needs.

There are enough vintage planes for those that don't want to or can't afford LN or Veritas. Woodworking is not a cheap hobby or vocation. Like wood turning, there doesn't seem to be an end to the number of toys we "need."

I did my part John:

[IMG][/IMG]

There goes that Xenophobic BS, again....

What about the tools from the U.K.? Clifton ring a bell...

What about the tools NOW being made in India? No..NOT Kunz....the real tools made in India....maybe go and ask Rex Krueger about those new planes....

Or...we can get back to the question at hand..has anyone DARED to use a WR plane? Instead of trying to sell other brands....about like listen to one of the old Toyota Sellathons....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-17-2023 at 3:38 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

While knocking Chinese stuff, people have no problem re-mortgaging their houses to buy Japanese chisels, or German-made Festool and Knipex, or any of the other non-North-America-made tools that crowd our workshops. I have a couple of veritas planes and a $25 block plane I bought at Home Depot that was assuredly made in China. I use it the most of the three. Here's another adage I like (in fact it's written in chalk on the walls of my basement workshop): "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools."

My comment has nothing to do with India, England, or Germany - none of which present a danger to our country. Nor, is it Xenophobic. I have nothing against Chinese people. It is simply about our fragile supply chain, theft of intellectual property and balance of trade coupled with the CCP virtually controlling their businesses. Surely, you guys take a break from your woodworking every now and then to watch the news.