Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood River Hand Planes

Wood River Hand Planes

Is anyone familiar with these plans? Are they worth the money?

WoodRiver Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Is anyone familiar with these plans? Are they worth the money?
    They are good planes. Worth depends on the individual considering the purchase and what is important to them. Like any brand, you have to know how to set them up and maintain them. There are other good brands on the market also. You might want to check out the Rob Cosman videos since he uses them extensively.

I have two- a #1 and a #3. I like them. Be aware they are heavier than their Stanley counterpart. They are clearly a chinese knockoff of LN. But the fit and finish of the version 3s is good. I didnt need to fettle mine at all - just sharpen and go. Personally, I decided to spend a little more and buy LV planes to round out my set. But there's nothing wrong with the Wood River.

(WR's prices have gone up since the version 3's were introduced a few years back. A #4 is now $215. An LV #4 is only $24 more, at $239. A LN #4 is now $415.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The LN iron 4 is $340. The bronze 4 is $415.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks John. I missed the iron version when I looked.
    I think I'd reach for the LN at that price.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Question is about the Wood River planes....I do have the #62, btw....not bad, really. Though I much prefer my Vintage Stanleys and Millers Falls....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have 2 Wood River planes, a low angle block plane and a #4 smoother, IIRC. I have other lower quality block planes I've sharpened, and I don't like, or use them. The Wind River block plane is my favorite. The other plane, I have sharpened and not used it yet.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-12-2023 at 10:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I handled the planes at their store. Personally, I found them too heavy. On a smoother, which may be used for thin easy shavings, it may be ok. On a jack or a no. 6 or 7 plane, you may no appreciate the weight on long planing sessions.

Blog Entries
    There are many things about the WoodRiver line up of planes to turn me off that have nothing to do with their usability.

Other than that, one point a buyer might want to consider is what happens if they need a replacement part?

Another point many of us consider is what is the resale value?

Prices currently are a bit crazy due to production problems experienced around the world.

Just now looking at completed sales on ebay for WoodRiver #5 planes it doesn't look like a great return on investment.

WoodRiver #5 sold on ebay II.pngWoodRiver #5 sold on ebay.jpgWoodRiver #5 at Woodcraft.png

Of course that could change over the years. A few SMC members have been restoring and selling Stanley planes (that are likely better than they were new) for a little extra income.

Almost all of my old Stanley planes would now sell for more than my purchase price (even unrestored). Even some planes purchased from Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen have appreciated above their original purchase price.

Our tools are an investment in our craft. They can also be an investment for our heirs whether they want to follow our footsteps into the craft or they decide to liquidate our estate.

In my way of considering the purchase of tools, there is more to consider than usability, weight or the functionality of a product.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Anything beyond their #4 is too heavy for me. The Wood River #7 is 9 ˝ lbs.... Yikes! Their block planes are nice.

Bear in mind...a Stanley No. 8c (in my till right now) weighs in at about....10 pounds....and it makes the Stanley No. 7c I have feel lightweight....

Like I said, I have the WR #62 in the til....much prefer a normal #5.....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Ken, just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoy your YouTube videos. They are very entertaining and I always learn something. Ok, back to the topic at hand…

RE: Woodriver Planes:
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
    John Ruskin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    RE: Woodriver Planes:
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
    John Ruskin
    One of my favorite quotes Phil.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

and why I will never use one.