Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood River Hand Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    I did not think Lie Nielsen made a 4˝ in bronze at any point, other than their 500 Anniversary planes, signed by Tomas?
    Rod, about 5 years back, LN had 5 or so bronze #4 1/2 planes for sale. The bodies must have been left over from the Anniversary run. These planes came with 45 degree frogs (the A came with 50) and plain, standard lever caps (the A came engraved). The Anniversary model also had a Rosewood handle and knob.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-17-2023 at 11:31 PM.

That’s interesting. When I first went shopping for a Lie-Nielsen plane, it was 2007 or 2008. Bronze 4-1/2s were in the catalog then. I didn’t have the historical knowledge that they were a limited anniversary run. They stayed available for some time after that. Hard to believe there were only 500, but if so, then I’m doubly disappointed I didn’t buy one. Again, that’s only because I think they’re cool.

To that other point, the innovator gets my loyalty, not the imitator, with less emphasis on the country. Lie-Nielsen has the track record — they took the initiative to bring back the Bailey/Bedrock design and beef it up for an enhanced modern tool. They win, in my opinion. In the same way, I also prefer certain authentic German tools, even if US makers have found a way to copy them.

Then again, I own Narex Chisels made in the Czech Republic. That acquisition was guided by price in 2011. But my second set were made in Warren, Maine.

I’ve owned old Stanley, WR, LN, and LV planes.

When I made the decision to go with LN/LV planes, most were only $50-$100 more than the WR equivalent. That gap widened some when LN raised their prices.

The Quangsheng planes work fine. But for a purchase I plan to make once and use for the next few decades, I choose to go with LN. They are a joy to use, have smoother adjustments, and less backlash. And being a domestic company is a plus in my book. Where I can, I prefer to support US manufacturing directly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    My comment has nothing to do with India, England, or Germany - none of which present a danger to our country. Nor, is it Xenophobic. I have nothing against Chinese people. It is simply about our fragile supply chain, theft of intellectual property and balance of trade coupled with the CCP virtually controlling their businesses. Surely, you guys take a break from your woodworking every now and then to watch the news.
    Very well stated, John. I am in complete agreement. The improper use of the word xenophobic by a previous poster reminds me of a Mark Twain quote, to wit, “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.”

I chuckle when someone says I don't want this to go political and then makes a political statement. Promoting not buying from China is, in fact, a political statement.

And once again, this thread was started to and is a political statement.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Politics -
    1. “The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.”

Ken- I would think “patriotic” would more accurately describe my comments.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I'd suggest John there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'd suggest John there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism.
    This is truth. Humans are inherently political beings, whether that presents a problem or not is in how we express it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Actually, I really do not care where the planes are/were/will be made....I really only care about how well they work for the tasks I NEED them to do....and, are easy to keep them that way...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Rod, about 5 years back, LN had 5 or so bronze #4 1/2 planes for sale. The bodies must have been left over from the Anniversary run. These planes came with 45 degree frogs (the A came with 50) and plain, standard lever caps (the A came engraved). The Anniversary model also had a Rosewood handle and knob.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek. I thought so. I recall finding out late that they were being made and none were available in the US anymore. I contacted a shop in Australia & was able to buy 2 and have them shipped to the US. I didn't know about the 5 left overs. Rather unique.

I kept contacting them last year to see what the 40th anniversary was going to be, but COVID apparently made it never happen.

Politics -
    1. “The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.”

Ken- I would think “patriotic” would more accurately describe my comments.
    In my life I’ve noticed that each decade is different from the previous one. In the current decade, Americans have lost the last bits of tolerance for the values held by others. It’s remarkable to me.

This thread has gone awry and for whatever part I played I apologize! And, I agree there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism. But, to clarify, I fully support a healthy trade relationship with any and all countries that deal with us fairly and do not take overt actions that are a threat, physically or economically, toward our country. We have some great friends in this world, but we also have a few, very few, that would like to see us lose our position in the world. I think we need to be very cautious in our dealings with those countries and never become dependent on them.

I have said enough and will no longer respond in this thread. Again, my apologies for my part in derailing the thread.

Left click my name for homepage link.

This thread has gone awry and for whatever part I played I apologize! And, I agree there is a distinct difference between nationalism and patriotism. But, to clarify, I fully support a healthy trade relationship with any and all countries that deal with us fairly and do not take overt actions that are a threat, physically or economically, toward our country. We have some great friends in this world, but we also have a few, very few, that would like to see us lose our position in the world. I think we need to be very cautious in our dealings with those countries and never become dependent on them.

I have said enough and will no longer respond in this thread. Again, my apologies for my part in derailing the thread.
    John,

I couldn't agree more with your statement.

Here's the thing. People with lower incomes may not be able to afford to not shop for products made in China. My sister, a nurse practioner, ran a clinic near Hyden, KY for several years and she spent a lot of her time researching for OTC medications available at Walmart to recommend to her patients because if she wrote a prescription, they couldn't afford it and thus their illnesses would go untreated.

I don't want to rehab vintage tools. I want to work wood, in my less than skilled manner.

In my WoodRIver planes case, as a retired person on a fixed income and an amateur woodworker, I won't necessarily buy the most expensive tools if I can find a lesser priced product that will perform the job for me. Beyond that, I want to hold that tool. I have extremely large hands and wear an XXL glove. I want to hold that tool to make sure it fits my ham hooks. WoodCraft in Spokane has removed a lot of money from my pockets. When I bought those planes and chisels, I actually cancelled an order from L-V for the chisels as they indicated they couldn't supply my order until 6 months out or more. I cancelled the order and drove to Spokane. My loving wife insisted I buy what ever tools I felt i needed. Thus 2 WoodRiver planes and a set of WoodRiver chisels came home with me. FTR, I own a L-V 1" bench chisel.

Again, I couldn't agree more with you John in your last statement. I try to buy products made in nations other than China as much as I can afford and justify!

Thanks for treating me and my opinions with respect, my friend!

Like John, this will be my last response to this thread and I too, apologize for making it political.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fross View Post
    Ken, just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoy your YouTube videos. They are very entertaining and I always learn something. Ok, back to the topic at hand…
    Oops...just saw this. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you, I enjoy sharing my workshop projects on YouTube. Best regards.

BTW....I do indeed have a WR No. 62 IN my shop....just saying...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use