Thread: Auger vs Brad Point Long Bit

Auger vs Brad Point Long Bit

I'm looking to drill a deep and narrow hole, approximately 10 inches deep with a diameter of 3/8". I'm unsure which type of drill bit would be the best option for a straight and accurate hole. I've ruled out using a Forstner bit since I couldn't find one that's long enough for my needs. I do have a couple of lengthy auger bits and a brad point bit available. My plan is to drill slowly and clear out the waste frequently. I initially thought the brad point bit would be the best choice, but I've heard that auger bits may be a better option. I'm a bit hesitant about using a spiral tip bit with a drill press, even though I've read that it's okay. Does anyone have experience drilling a deep and narrow hole and achieving good results? I would appreciate any advice.

I have a set of long brad point bits that would do it, no problem. I've had that set for so long that I forget where they came from, but they're not some high end brand name.

If you're going to drill it with a brace and bit, the auger would get the call. The ones you would use in a power drill are for things like electrician holes, and it takes good luck to get a straight hole with them.

You can probably get a single long brad point off Amazon or ebay if you don't want a whole set.

edited to add: This would be a high end

https://www.amazon.com/Fisch-FSF-328...%2C101&sr=8-27
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-14-2023 at 7:21 PM.

Thank you for the feedback. I already have the bits and it just so happens that Fisch 3/8 10" is the brad point I was considering against a modern Wood Owl Auger or a steel Craftsman Auger (circa 1960's?).

I have long brad-points I bought for guitar work...some folks call them "aircraft bits". They are Irwin brand I think and I bought off Amazon. I have the .375" and the .25" plus a the .0125" that is not a brad point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...