Thread: Oval table, ambrosia maple

Oval table, ambrosia maple

Note: I did NOT make this table! My good friend Paul Menchhofer, (artist, woodturner, world-class potter, and occasional furniture maker) designed and built it. All I did was loan some tools, give him some ebony for the wedges, and help him get the finished piece off the workbench!

I thought some here might be interested.

This dining table is 8' long, ambrosia maple. The legs are attached by long 3/4" maple dowels glued and wedged with ebony. To align the holes he drove a 3/4" teflon dowel through the joints. He said figuring the angles for the legs and how to cut them was the hardest part for him. (He made mockups of the legs from 2x construction pine.) The top two dowels pin the legs to the support structure, the bottom two go all the way through the opposite leg.

Everything was cut on the bandsaw; the oval top was done with a hand-held jigsaw. Dowel holes drilled with an electric hand drill.

table03_20230311_160201.jpg

table02_20230311_160228.jpg

table01_20230311_160246.jpg

I'm impressed at how heavy and sturdy it is!
    He should have finish applied in a few days, then we'll move it into his house.

JKJ

Absolutely beautiful figure. Curious to see the finish.

It looks great unfinished. That’s a good sign
    Aj

I'm not much of a fan of Ambrosia maple but that's a nice table. Best use of Ambrosia I've ever seen. Look forward to seeing it with a finish. Congrats to your friend for a really nice build.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher